1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Terran Tips

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Andromidius, Jan 8, 2011.

General Terran Tips

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Andromidius, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

So it seems I suck with Terran. Badly.

I just can't seem to get out of the Protoss style of play, and my macro is appalling. I go from having no resources and struggling to build basic intrastructure, to having over 1000 minerals banked.

I'm still a bronze player, so some general tips would be apprieciated.

2. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    do some practise .. and remember to use ALL your ressources cause those 1000 minerals could've been 20 marines wich is quite a lot.
    If your macro is slipping you could build more barracks, factories etc.
    just remember to build units all the time and maybe even when your in a battle.
    I'm Zerg and i had the same problem once but I learned it as I practised more so yeah it takes some time ^^

3. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Sigh. I thought I was set for a win. I'd scouted that my opponant was going Void Rays, so I had a bunch of Vikings and Marines, and I took out his expansion really easily. And then 10 Void Rays tore me to pieces.

Seriously. Void Rays. They are too damn good at killing infantry :S

4. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Thats a bad troll even at best.

With terran you should be highly agressive vs Protoss within the first 12 minutes.

In fact As soon as I get +1 weps, stim, shield and con shell I go do as much damage as possible by kitting.

usually have 10 marines and 4-5 maruders by this point if 3 rax.

You should never let your opponent do anything, apply constant pressure.

5. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Well I'm starting to claw a few victories now. Building three Barracks at the start before any other tech so I can get out a bunch of Marines and Marauders. Probably getting 50% wins now, though each one is really hard fought and every loss is very quick.

Also it seems I really don't build enough SCV's. Looking at replays, I never seem to get to the 40+ mark even on two bases. And getting gas seems to be something that slips my mind a lot, so I end up with tons of minerals and nothing to do with them. Oh, and remembering to build Depots.

Last game was fun though, I noticed my opponant went mass Marauders, and after we wrecked each other and retreated I tech switched directly to Battlecruisers with Yamoto Cannons. Then I steamrolled him. Not a typical tactic, but in Bronze it can catch people by suprise it seems...

6. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Helions rock in groups of 3+, especially vs Terran or zerg just make sure you target fire the light units.

My favorite pass time is to run around piicking drones off with helions in tvz.

7. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

*gnashes teeth*

Three games. Vs Terran. They ALL Marine rushed. Its' SO BORING. And the only counter to that from what I can tell is to Marine rush as well!

8. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
  9. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

I tried getting some Hellions in my last two games. While I don't think they helped much in an offensive capacity, they were excellent for scouting.

And I won both games, first one against a Protoss who went Immortal/Void Ray and ran into a wall of stimmed Marines and Tanks and quickly gg'ed, second against a Terran player who...well, I'm not sure what his plan was. He took ages to expand and turtled up, got cloaked Banshees and killed two of my expansions (despite having Turrets up, he had so many he just killed them really fast). I went mass Tanks, Hellions and Marines, then moved into Vikings, Banshees and Battlecruisers. He really stretched the game out after I steamrolled his base and hid buildings around the map... But yeah. I still suck, but winning two games felt nice.

10. Alsojames

Alsojames New Member

I have the same problem with protoss. I'm gonna try playing zerg because I ALWAYS WIND UP AGAINST PROS even though I'm bronze.

11. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Two more wins, both against Zerg. Seems early Factory and pumping 4-6 Hellions to harrass, then transitioning into mass Marine and Thor works REALLY well.

12. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    In reguard to high level play.

Hellions are not that useful vs protoss unless with reguards to scouting or dropping them with medivacs into the mineral line.

Vs zerg however hellions are easily the most important early and mid game terran unit has vs zerg..

If you want I could post some bronze replays of it in use,

13. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

I seem to have things more figured out now. I even used Ghosts for the first time just now, and completely blunted a 4 Gate attack with a few well placed EMP's. Awesome sauce.

14. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Ghosts are pretty much required vs protoss early to mid game but you must scout alot and transition into vikings if they start going colusi.

ghosts are great vs gate way untis with HT's but not at all once they have colusi out, unless your really godly with micro skills.

15. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    The correct counter is to build a bunker and tech to tanks and vikings.

16. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Mirror match ups all almost always boring.

TvT is about surviving early marine pressure and the first to contain the other with seige tanks + Stim marines with upgrades will usually win.

17. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Aye. I'm finding that on most maps I go for the following plan:

TvT - Marines, Tanks and Vikings.
    TvP - Marauders, Ghosts and Tanks.
    TvZ - Marines, Thors and Medivacs.

My macro is improving, though I still need to remember to build units constantly and not in bursts. Especially not when one basing.

18. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

Bleh, Void Rays. Just can't deal with them.

Though admittedly I PF rushed my opponant last game. Caught him by suprise, but he had enough resources to expand into my old base. By the time I got a Starport up (and expanding to the gold) he had 3 Void Rays. GG :(

19. Richi

Richi New Member

Here are strategies Terran in StarCraft 2, which is commonly used by all players.
    MMM represents Medivac, and Marine Marauder. Normally, this is the strategy that is very popular with most players of StarCraft 2, but it is very inexpensive to deploy and use. The plan was put here to be separated into three weight groups, then after the policy groups around the enemy position and then overwhelm the defense of your opponent's strength. Inside evacuations, Marines load with the marauders and control if needed, based on the proposed map. The key point here is important to allow all entities to work together synergistically. To increase the marauders and the Marines are using health and medical evacuations stimulus packages. To make the strategy effective, you must be faster in the micro and macro.

This tactic is designed as a cheap by most players because the first units marauders are strong against the Protoss. By accelerating the marauders before, when it is hard for players in the game to counter. When this policy is followed, many older players gain faster than new players. This is loved by rich people because it takes more time and resources.

For more tips: www.starcraft2forum.org/shokzreview

20. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

My goodness, I've been on a win streak recently after trying out that new 2 Fact 2 Port strategy. It even works quite well against Zerg, though less so against Protoss.

Blue flame Hellion drops are...just wow. Demolishes mineral lines so quickly. And after the drops, a pack of Hellions can do serious damage to enemy attacks, slowing them down while I crank out more units.

Oh, and one game my opponant went mass Thors. So I countered with mass Battlecruisers. He didn't GG and made me kill him completely, by the end of it I had 15 BC's being auto-repaired by a dozen SCV's... It felt so nice just steamrolling down the map!

...still Bronze though. Urgh!