1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamachi server for Starcraft2forum.org

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by VodkaChill, Mar 14, 2008.

Hamachi server for Starcraft2forum.org

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by VodkaChill, Mar 14, 2008.

1. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Hi People,

I just had the idea of creating a Hamachi server after this site's name.

If you guys are like me and log-in to hamachi everyday you can see who is up for a game in no time and fire up a UDP or IPX game anytime without having to go in battle.net.

For people who knows Hamachi
    Server name : starcraft2forum.org
    Password: sc2
    password is in lowercaps.

For those who does not know Hamachi and wants to learn more

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

In short, Hamachi simulates a LAN connection. Just like if we ere in the same room as you, but over the internet. Pretty sweet.

Technically it's a secured VPN, it creates a logical network card and uses that IP over the internet to identify you as a rightfull owner of the network. Networks are being supported by Hamachi, so even if I am not connected other people can still join in and play.

Firewall ports might need to be opened to have Hamachi work.

Any question, just post here and I will answer the best that I can, like any good IT Tech would :thumbup:

EDIT: If anyone has problem with Ports forwarding on the router follow this information

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm, from there choose your router and go to Hamachi in the software list. Follow these instructions.

Still having problems seeing games? Make sure that your Hamachi virtual adapter is first on top
    Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings > Set Hamachi at the top of the list. Thanks Zergalicious.

2. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    What does Hamachi do with StarCraft, i know how it works with Different Private Servers, but does this create like a Battle.net to yourself?

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Excellent idea, Vodkachill, but people who can't access b.net will have trouble using Hamachi for the same reason (i.e., traffic being blocked on certain ports), if I understand it correctly.

@Inside: no, because b.net is essentially a master server that clients ask for a list of games and even to enter a channel. Hamachi would serve as a direct connection between all the computers on the network. It would do nothing with your SC, it would just create another connection for your computer on which you can access other computers (multiplayer, file sharing, etc.).

I have Hamachi installed so I'll join this channel to see how it works out.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Isn't Hamachi really illigal?

5. kuvasz

Hungary
    If it was illegal it wouldn't have survived for this long and it wouldn't have been purchased by logmein. This is merely a VPN through which you can share your files and chat... think of it as a multi-purpose IM client :)

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Oh, I just thought most companies, including Blizzard, hate it because people can download their games and play online anyways. It seems that that happens all the time, especially with warcraft games. Those things are illigal, so I sort of thought hamachi itself was illigal too.

7. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i have hamachi, ill join 2mollo, im too tired atm =.=ZZzzZZzz

8. kuvasz

Hungary
    I'm sure they hate that but I happen to have a purchased copy of SC. I would prefer b.net over Hamachi but half the users here can't access b.net so I rarely find games (I don't like to play against strangers :D).

9. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Be sure that Hamachi is a100% legal and spyware fee program.

The way to play a Starcraft or any other game is to simply create a game in UDP or IPX (Multiplayer mode)(while hamachi is started) and you will be able to see other peoples game.

It's not 100%, like it was posted again some ports would need to be open.

But in my case I tried to play with someone from this site and B.net failed miserably. We were successful with Hamachi. And of course there is always the possibility to play other games on Multi, like Titan Quest that worked for me and Rainbow Six Vegas that I was very happy to play in Coop.

@Kuvasz : Like I pointed out in this post, the ports of Hamachi and B.Net uses are complely different. Youmight be blocking one and the other is fine. It's just another alternative.

Sadly I'm not at home today so I won't be able to connect to Hamachi to play with you guys :)

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Why are some ports blocked then? When I first played on b.net, windows asked me to give permission to that program to let it use all ports. I have never had any problems with it. Perhaps it is just caused by a second firewall program you have running on your computer. Anyway, I will be joyning later on, I think.

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    You only need to forward one port for Hamachi. By nature it is a port tunneler. It will forward all ports through one set of ports.

It tends to reduce lag by playing on this system rather than Battle.net.

12. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Depends if the lag is coming from the other person or you, then there is no way to avoid it.

But your right, you have less chances to lag since you have only 2 people interracting * (you and your friend) instead of 3 (you , your friend or B.net)

*Note that if Hamachi is down for maintenance, the service cannot be provided ;)

13. Sakujou

Sakujou New Member

Well I wont be able to join for quite some time, Laptop in repair...but I did try it out not much lag just my laptop crashed in the middle of our first game on it, sorry about that xD

14. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Mouhahah, Ima hacker, I win this way

lol, no seriously I did not understand what happened when you timed out. Rest assured that I defended your base and we won in honnor. :)

15. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    im in now...whos bougiepower??

my name is ACe

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I swear only 15 people can join a network?

17. Sakujou

Sakujou New Member

What do you mean? and if so maybe we can all pitch in for a premium server account :)

18. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yeah only 15 people...just make another server..."starcraft2forum.org2" or something

...nothing that hard.

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Sooo, uhh, how do we use this in-game? Do we just go to LAN and will everyone show up?

20. Sakujou

Sakujou New Member

Read the first post XD Goto lan and then the second option for lan I think it was...read the first post <.<