1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Templars vs Ghosts

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MightyMidget, Jul 25, 2010.

High Templars vs Ghosts

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by MightyMidget, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MightyMidget

MightyMidget New Member

Virginia - US
    For PvT:
    I've been watching a lot of high-level players replays on youtube and the effectiveness of the ghost with EMP, obviously good against any Protoss army.

Also, besides the use of storms, the use of feedback makes high templars very useful against most anything of Terran.

The thing is, I've seen people complaining on youtube that this makes High Templars OP, and I want to see what people on here seem to think about this. Ghosts can simply EMP and counter anything on the Protoss army, while you can actually micro out of a Storm. Thoughts?

2. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    This is copied and pasted out of another topic about the possibility of Protoss being underpowered:

Also don't forget a Terran player has to make tech labs for each rax he wants to make Ghosts out of, but a Protoss player can make HTs out of all of his Gateways once he has the Archives.

I honestly think they are pretty even. The HT costs more up front but as time progresses the ghosts begin to cost more. And while the EMP attacks are automatically heal-able because of the shields, it does more slightly more damage over a slightly larger area, plus it's harder to avoid with micro.

3. PANDA

PANDA New Member

It's all about utilization. Ghosts are used to complement any Terran army against Protoss, and High Templar against any non-mech terran army (basically anything that balls up, like bio or lots of air). However, Ghosts can be obtained FAR sooner than high templar. Terrans can rush-tech to Ghosts in just a few minutes and create a decent army in the meantime, while Protoss has to sacrifice quite a bit of unit production to rush to High Templar tech.

They really seem pretty even to me too, both can be highly effective in certain situations/phases of the game. Here's the difference I see though that may tip the balance in favor of the ghost: while High Templar become far less useful when Terran goes for bigger, less bunchy units like Tanks and Thors, Ghosts will remain highly useful throughout the game because they completely eliminate the shields of ALL protoss units and buildings---i.e. a Ghost can singlehandedly take out half the health of a Nexus with one EMP. High Templar certainly can't do things like that.

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Ghosts are a bit easier to use, I mean an EMP is instant in a good sized radius.

High Templars have to place their storms well and directly click for feedback.

5. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    If Psionic Storm did instant damage in a larger radius, it would just be overpowered. When a Protoss player gets EMPed all they have to do his move back and wait for their shields to heal. If a Terran player gets hit by one of these new-and-improved Psionic Storms, they wouldn't be able to move back and heal their entire army with just Medivacs. Even if they could, Protoss don't have to pay anything to heal themselves from an EMP, while Terran need Medivacs (or they have to use SCVs if a mech unit was in there) to heal themselves from a Storm.

That bit about the ghosts staying useful throughout a game against Protoss is true though, but Ghosts are meant to be a Terran player's main weapon against a Protoss player. Ghosts aren't nearly as useful against Zerg, when you can only really EMP Infestors. However a Psionic Storm would be great against a Zerg player though, no? Since a Zerg player is going to have a giant ball of biological units?

6. fusion

fusion Guest

That's right, and that's why I like ghosts much more.

7. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    Ghosts seem like more of a TvP (or in TLO's case TvT) unit.

HTs are good in PvZ and PvT making them more useful in that regard.

Plus, even though the unit isnt phenomenal or anything, a "spent" HT can be morphed with another into an archon which provides even more versatility.

Overall I would say HT>Ghost but not by a lot. The way they are incorporated into the gameplay in general though is fairly balanced for both sides.

8. Queen.B

Queen.B New Member

How is this even a debate?Both units are stronger but clearly ghost are better.

-There cloaked ;cloack + sniper =dead Templars
    -There extremely useful against Protoss.(units and buildings )
    -While the EMP is not as good against Terrans as it is against protoss ,its still very useful .
    -They have the ability to nuke ,thats mass damage to any kinds of units.

So seriously how is this even a debate?