1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fight VOID RAYS as Terran

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Pfr3sh, Aug 9, 2010.

How to fight VOID RAYS as Terran

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Pfr3sh, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Pfr3sh

Pfr3sh Guest

Ive been a fan and ive been playing starcraft 1 since 2001. Ive mastered terran strategies and i have alot of fun playing. But every time i do team games and we vs against protoss players they mass void rays and no matter how large our army is they wipe them out in seconds and destroy all three of our bases with 1 army of like 50 void rays. Ive done alot of research and i cant seem to find a weakness for them when i play as terran. I tried massing 100 marines with medivacs and stimpacks and they drop like flies in 10 seconds and ill kill maybe 10 of em. i tried massing vikings and though they died slow at first as the void rays dmge increases they die like 4 of em every second and i lose. i tried gunning the hell out of em with Yamato cannons and they died before i could get a bunch of em off. Anyone have an idea on how to fight a void ray army as terran.

Good advice is greatly appreciated.

2. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    Marines and vikings are the answer. If you lost the battle with those units, it's because either your team was just worse at macromanagement and didn't get enough units, or your team wasn't coordinated and attacked with one army at a time. 50 void rays will beat 40 vikings, but they won't beat 100 vikings.

3. Reasoner

Reasoner New Member

He summarized it perfectly.

4. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    Also, nip the problem early. 50 void rays will actually beat just about anything since it is past the critical mass of the unit.

If you see a void ray, kill the void ray since they get exponentially more dangerous as their numbers grow.

5. Cold

Cold New Member

Also, vikings have better range than voidrays. You can kite them, preventing them from loading up their guns, and making them pretty useless.

6. StarcraftGod

StarcraftGod New Member

go around them n get them from behind with vikings coming from both flanks

7. Benjamin242

Benjamin242 Guest

It was very sloppy and I left myself wide open, but I massed thor units against a player who was massing void rays and I won just the other day.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Since air units can stack quite tight, the Thors splash damage can kill them if it is high enough numbers.
    But they wont counter them if you have like 2 Thors against 3 void rays.

9. DREAD

DREAD New Member

Las Vegas
    With whatever counter unit be it vikings or thors make sure you micro your attack and take em out one by one... like a previous post said kiting with the vikings so the voids cant charge there rays is an excellent counter strat.

10. DarkCommander

DarkCommander New Member

Canada
    I like using stimpacked marines against void rays, he waste to much fire on a single marine and if he gets 50 void rays then i assume you would have already scouted him and simply made vikings if you see him make 50 omg void rays and marines and turrets. Basically throw as much anti-air as you can since I doubt he will have any other army if he gets 50 void rays lmao.

11. fcuker

fcuker New Member

i say viking.. its got the range advantage and bonus on armored units.. plus its alot faster and cheaper than voidrays

12. bovineblitz

bovineblitz New Member

Wow that guy must've sucked, thors are terrible vs void rays.

13. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    i would say...
    a...
    SUPER HYPER ULTRA MEGA UBER POEWRFUL SECRET LIMIT-BREAKING ATTACK
    OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no jk for the most part i agree with vikings....
    but here is a twist:
    kill all your works and get 100 vikings a person.
    and *cough* show meh the replay plz :D

14. Lady Nova

Lady Nova New Member

Australia
    As most people pointed out, and i do as well, VIKINGS!, with weapon upgrades, kill them, before they can kill you. And send some cannon fodder out first, like a ball of Marines. They will catch his attention, then BAM! Vikings in the rear.

15. Yorkylol

Yorkylol New Member

Florida
    Scout, you are terran, do not let this happen. Also its protoss bring in the marauders with concussive shells early and out micro, apply the pressure. Make him sacrifice a lot to transition to void rays, but hold down expos so you out macro him with your AA units. Just expand faster and apply the pressure is all I can say.

Also do not forget to scan for multiple scattered stargates do not underestimate.

16. steve420

steve420 New Member

i usually just go mass marines with stim, its far cheaper and faster to build and they can tear up some voids, if you have the money get viking but marines are also a good choice

17. Eliam

Eliam New Member

I had a replay somewhere of me trying to hold that, and eventually winning, the protoss oponent could never get that many voidrays since I kept harassing him with vikings and destroying as many of the voidrays I could. Later sent marines and vikings, with some medevacs to finish the job

18. Blitz93

Blitz93 New Member

New York
    I think the biggest problem here is that you let them mass 50 void rays. You should NEVER let a protoss player mass void rays, it spells madness for everyone. Get out some early marauders with marines to put on some early pressure, make sure you scout consistently, and if you see a stargate go up immediately work on vikings and marines, along with some missle turrets just in case he sends an early void ray you're not prepared for.

19. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    vikings are the best option. Marines tie up your barracks and minimize marauder production which means you will be extremely vulnerable to a warp gate army.

Of course, investing the money into a single barracks with a reactor will allow you to supplement the vikings with marines which never hurts.

Also, those starports with reactors can always transition into medivac production which would let you wrap the game up once the void rays are completely taken out.

Or you could swap to banshees (lift it onto a tech lab) once you have air superiority and use those to take out as many pylons as you want without having to worry about anything besides stalkers.

20. sc2 awsom

sc2 awsom New Member

wow im a noob but wow man 50 void rays wow except you guys must really not lik missile turrets because they slice void rays like easy cheese