1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infester Inspector

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by freedom23, Mar 4, 2009.

Infester Inspector

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by freedom23, Mar 4, 2009.

1. oakwood

oakwood Guest

What exactly is the problem with the lore? Why aren't people satisfied with Metzen's response?

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Predominantly, it's because the Infested Marines still come from nowhere. The Drone mutates into the Infestation Pit, just as it does with every other building, only this time there are fully armoured Infested Terran Marines inside. Basically, there's still nothing that's actually been infested for these Infested Marines to come from.

Personally I don't see it as a problem, especially considering what else the Zerg are capable of, but yeah. That's the problem.

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

That ability of the Infester has been the root cause of its lore problems for a while now and somehow there still isn't a good explanation of that. Or rather there will never be as long as it's mechanic stays being puked out by the infester. And by doing so, I've come to resolve that it can only be fixed by changing the ability back to the barracks / gateway infestation (w/c also contradicts the protoss being infested making this only a terran based skill). This is why I can't visualize the infester ever being fixed lorewise. If what the Infester need is a spawn unit that can attack air, a better unit would be something like mini-spore colonies that will be on the same level of the marines except for being a fodder and a time limit. Other than that I would rather just them change the attack animation of the infested marines into some sort of biological weapon instead of using gauss rifles, and recalling the SC1 infested marine unit model would be preferable too. Now in that sense, a question of how did a terran marine form got hatched from a blob would likely be eliminated, knowing that since SC1, the zerg have somehow already copied the genetic structure to make copies of infested ones.

Nobody understands mechanics/genetics when it comes to zerg and it is most likely that we will clear this confusion any way. But if somehow Blizzard would pull-off a good explanation for that, then I'll yield from my discontent of the Infester is right now, but as of today,... Infester is infested itself.

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I think one way of looking at it is, kerrigan is a Terran, there's your DNA crap u need. In another thread we discussed that iron and crap would and could probly be used by the Zerg to make armor. So Kerrigan wants to run tests to perfect her armor and weapon making skills and wala a stupid test subject is born, maybe as one of the Zerg units for the expansion they could have a iron carapace upgrade or something that would make it almost imune to small arms fire like the opposite of the imortals.

Therefor that's an idea of what blizz could change to work out, but there is one problem with this, Kerrigan hates the terrans now so I guess it would go along with using them as test subjects but she doesn't want them in the swarm so the idea just needs to be changed to need any one building from the terrans to be infected so u can spawn infested terrans from larvae.

5. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Ok, the zerg may be able to duplicate terran armour and weapons, but why would they? It's not exactly exponentially better than zerg carapace and organic weapons, so why wouldn't they grow an apparently more efficient carapace than forge some marine armour?

6. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Because terran armor is crappy for the zerg, so they treat them as they should be.... like vomit and sh!t

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    What about simply being a weapon of terror? I mean, an Ultralisk is one thing, but your ol' pal Carter, braindead, with multiple organisms living off his insides, bursting out of a hideous, green egg that was literally spat at you out of nowhere with four of his other mates is completely different thing altogether.

Overall, Terran are basically a resource for the Zerg. It's quite apparent that they're not as costly as other Zerg organisms, but not as strong or stable as well. Zerg has access to them, so why not use them? Even without the weapon of terror, Zerg are simply about pumping as many units onto the battlefield as possible. Even if their armour is inferior, even if they're too slow and even if they are too unstable to last, there is absolutely no reason why any Zerg army would even consider leaving them out. They're cheap and they fight.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    because they're trying to make a hydrid that would have armor and carapace therefor its double armored and it has a bit of a stronger weapon then some zerg because it shoots so fast.

because these are test subjects. they're trying to profect it, if they can perfect it then they could equip there army with them and then imagine that a zergling is coming at you and your shooting but only half of your bulets are hitting into the armor and the rest are being stoped by the carapace. this would make them stronger. and also think if you then added a bunch of rusty spikes to your spikes that protude from your body, now they if something runs next to you your scraping them and overall doing at least a bit more damge.
    And right now its just a few really cheap units that they can get on the battle field to help them out.

besides i could see one strat as race for defence and infesters and then sneak in with them having detection and spawning them all over the enemy mineral line. no to mention you could sneek changlings in there at the same time and scout the rest of there base.

i hope it stays in the game in at least one fourm or another but some people have problems with the idea

how about after every minute that the infestation pit is up you get an infested marine because it takes time to capture them (even tho your not having to go on raid just to kidnap all of his marines to use the spell)

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Actually that armour and carapace thing doesn't really make sense. One has to be stronger than the other, and in that case, it can simply be made to be about twice as thick. The problem with that, however, is the same problem with why soldiers today don't wear thirty eight centimetre tungsten body armour and helmets. Waste of resources and is obviously far to heavy and bulky to be effective.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    yea true but why couldn't Kerrigan be trying to maybe produce exact copies of marines so she could infiltrate the terrans. This could also be something implemented into the toss... now thnking on that it would be in sigle plaryer only as characters. But that would be kinda cool. Think about not only spawning marines but zealots in that respect. But I guess that would be the role of an overseer that does the same with changlings to get the job done.
    Idk, it can be really confusing cuz you have to look at every variable and crap.

11. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

the changling can already produce exact copies of marines and zealots. as exact as you can get it. but i wont go into the changling thing again lol.

and as for increasing there armor, well i think they can already easily do that without getting armor from terrans. infact there carapaces is as strong if not stronger then the armor of terrans anyway. and if they REALLY wanted to make it stronger then i think they should get a few daimonds lol.

12. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

That's a good question, to know what's going on Kerrigans mind during this times, her vision, desire, her hunger.
    - the way that she is right now, I can say that she despises the terran race so much that she tossed away all of her remaining humanity by making an example of everyone that gets in her way. She maybe the one that constructed the genetic patterns to produce terran-like fodders for the swarm. Every one of these questions will be answered on the expansion and Kerrigan has a lot to answer about that lore concept and we will know that next month! (Blizzcon 2k9 maybe)

Spawn changlings would be a better concept if it would be possible, but other than that, I'm still rooting for an old infested terran model petition + a modified biological attack (that can attack gtg, gta)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  13. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

so like, changelings changing into terrans and zealots are not exact copies..? lorewise, im sure a changling can infiltrate a terran base with ease. its the perfect disguise and works great for a storyline.

the changeling in gameplay mode is a diffrent story tho. and for the infested terran i still think it would be better to actually INFEST a terran in order to get one... having it cost a good amount of energy aswell i think it balances more out then just spawning 5 of them at a time. 1 infestor can infest maybe 1 or 2 marines instead of 1 infestor spawning 5 at once... and it will be great for the lore problem.

but then again, infesting a marine or any unit would just be the same thing as mind controling them... so idk, i give up lol

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Keep in mind that Zerg had access to Parasite as well. If they're looking to infiltrate or gain knowledge of some Terran installation, Parasites seem to be the way to go. That, or simply overwhelming it with unspeakable numbers. Either way.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    yea if you want to win as the zerg you a crap load of guys. and you need to keep them coming of micro small handfulls at a time to get the ful damge out of them.

this is another feature that the zerg have even more of in SC2, but you also need to what the enemy is doing to properly counter there plans. now you can tell exactly what there doing with out losing a drone zergling etc on a scouting misson. now you will lose the changling at one point or another but its free and the overseer will most likly be out of harms way. say a spell range of almost its sight range when sitting still and a little bit farthere when there moving and there sight range is lower.

16. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

So there will be no dark swarm in the game? That will make it hell to defend against mass carriers.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Not really. Hydralisks now have a significant bonus against Armoured Air units, as does the Corruptor, which also turns attacked units against their original team once they've been destroyed. On top of that, almost all of the Infester's abilities appear as though they'd be effective against such a threat.

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Hey just a question here, can someone confirm who has the spore cloud ability right now? Was it the Infester or Overseer? I was assuming that it has to be the overseer making sense since it is zergs scout support unit, but I have read some previous post and it said that the infestor has the spore cloud?

19. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    The Overseer has the Spore Cloud ability. To the best of our knowledge Spore Cloud has never been on another unit.

20. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

What does the spore cloud do?