1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interveiw Questions for SC2

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by KuraiKozo, Oct 4, 2008.

Interveiw Questions for SC2

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by KuraiKozo, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    That's a good idea!

The units cannot stay under the bridge you mean? I take that!
    Even if this way I wouldn't like much to play ladder games with too much bridges though...

Regarding the stamina, yes I mainly refer to the move and melee attack abilities here: when a unit is exhausted, it cannot move and/or attack melee efficiently anymore, and need some rest. Same with ammos regarding most range attacks. I wouldn't like much a system implying the energy though, as this would mean that the units wouldn't be able anymore to use their special abilities correctly...

Again, I don't say it would enhance Starcraft, I just wonder about the ultimate limits of the editor regarding game mechanics...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    It has been confirmed that model editing software will not be bundled with starcraft2. Is it legal/possible for a 3rd party program to create models for use ingame?

3. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    Yes and no.

From a legal point of view, so far I know, as long as this is your own models, ie work, nobody will really care, because your releases will be bound by the EULA contract, saying that all that what you will do with the provided pieces of software (the level editor) will be owned to the publisher (the owner of the license of this level editor).

But if you import the models, ie resources, from another game, ie bound with another contract, this may cause troubles, because the resources of this other game will then be used in this game, ie not as said in this second contract.

From a technical point of view, it all depends on the format of these models: if this is something 3DSmax or Maya or whatever other 3d editor can export, no problem, otherwise we will need some compilator software in order to be able to provide these models in the right format, which will probably mean another nights of headaches if these compilators are provided by third parties, ie the community...

furrer likes this.
  4. Alukard

Alukard New Member

i just came up with one, if its not too late
    Will the story line and missions be slowed down by the repeat and explaining whats happened in the previous games? Some companies think that even those new to the franchise need to enjoy it and play it without having played the previous to know whats going on. Will that be the case or will the story boldly go forward?

5. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Um, that's what an instruction manual is for. It can be used to bring people up to speed on the lore. And also explain the after BW and before SC 2 happenings.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I just have one answer (im not very active, but this seemed intresting). About the ammunitions:
    Like in some WC3 custom maps, you could probably make the attack cost mana (example: unit has a base dmg of 0, but a autocast abillity that costs 5 mana and deals 10dmg). And then make a bunker like thing or something else, where the unit has to enter to recharge mana. I dont know if it works on meele units, but its on possibility.

7. Jissé

Jissé New Member

Dublin
    I already thought about this possibility, but this cannot work, unless you redesign the whole game:

1) The mana-auto-consuming units are vulnerable to mana-related abilities, like feedback or whatever you call it in Starcraft, EMP shockwave etc.
    2) How will this unit reload its/his/her ammunitions? If you provide a building or another unit that can help this unit reloading, ie regenerating its/his/her mana, this same building or unit might then help any unit in the game to recover its/his/her mana/energy faster.
    3) If you want to not make this unit affected by other mana/energy related abilities/effects/features/whatever, you can make it/him/her immune to "magic" maybe, but then, how will it/him/her recover ammunitions?

Unless we are talking about a total conversion, It's a dead end whatever how you deal with it.
    Given the current system so far I know, you can't make a marine to need to get back to his base to reload his weapon, or a zergling to rest for a while to recover after have destroyed a building or killed many enemies.

I do hope the story will go forward: if some people want to know what happened in SC1, they can just play it, the game has been designed for that, or otherwise Blizzard can just introduce the SC2 campaigns by an introduction cinematic featuring the main points of the SC1 storyline(s), that would be way enough for me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well, Jisse, this one is for you! I'll answer what I can. Questions that don't have an answer I just don't know so you'll have to wait. :D

Yes, skill strengths will be customizable according to Blizzard interviews.

You can already do this in the StarCraft editors. And Blizzard has stated that anything possible in the WC3 editors will most likely be possible in the SC2 editor.

Okay, new policy on your questions. This is dumb. You can already kick people out of games with the StarCraft editor. I won't be answering any more of these.