1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Reaper Rushing Really Dead?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Raynor, Mar 2, 2011.

Is Reaper Rushing Really Dead?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Raynor, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Raynor

Raynor New Member

I was wondering if anybody even gets reapers anymore besides for scouting. I remember seeing reaper rushes in lots of games but now I have not seen them or used them.

2. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    well... ever since i stopped playing SC2 i haven't reaper-rushed anyone so.. yeah it might be dead xD

3. sc2scoorge

sc2scoorge New Member

i wouldnt say completely dead, but i have noticed my opponents haven't been using that tactic as much

4. Sage

Sage New Member

Not sure if its dead i still see it sometimes, but its not nearly as effective anymore with that extra requirement for the speed upgrade. Without that speed boost reapers can get taken out easy it seems.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I use it in 3v3s or 4v4s. Useless in a 1v1 unless your opponent does something dumb. Can be a good counter to a proxy build or specifically a Fast Expanding Zerg.

6. Raynor

Raynor New Member

I wonder if it can work against some Protoss players since they are so used to getting rushed by a few Marines and Marauders while they are getting warpgates. Usually when I play they have their units (usually a Sentry and Stalker) at the top of their ramp to defend using a Force Field. Nobody really expects a Reaper rush any more so maybe you can sneak them in and start taking out enough workers to make it worth the effort before they even know it. Even though it probably won't work I am going to try it.

7. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    The point of a reaper is not to kill them, it's simply to scout+do some damage. I'm 3k masters and still occasionally get a reaper first, you simply do the standard bo for Terran and immediately make a reaper. The benefits are not damage, it's that they are one supply and more mobile than a marine. I recommend getting a fast reaper if you do not plan on getting a fast factory as it is a hefty cost of 50 gas which could be used toward ups for your marauders or marines.

TvT Do not get reapers unless you plan on having a delayed scout instead of a scan, this is actually very useful.

TvZ It is very effective becuase by the time your reaper gets there, their hatch should of finished and you can harass any transfer of drones, and if they made lings first expecting a bunker you can kill them instead. Remember that any free units are good, it's even better if you can save the reaper and use it to scout later or control the towers.

TvP Is also decent, depending on the spawn locations and if they chrono boost the stalker, your reaper should arrive right before the stalker, also a reaper can 1v1 a sentry, so if you see one ALWAYS take the free kill. You should also be able to kill a probe or two before the stalker kills the reaper, you can also scout if they are taking their second gas + gateways.

8. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls New Member

^ isn't it useful against TvT to get some scouting? I mean, terran walls of, most of the time, and a scan costs 300 minerals (in theory). Also, most terran players have their army at their wall. I think you can kill some scv's with reapers. They're faster than marines and marauders as well, so you might force him into getting Concussive Shells.

9. Raynor

Raynor New Member

I guess it is just all about micro. I tried sniper's idea yesterday because I only faced Zerg players and it worked. I sent out the early reaper right in time to dodge the few zerglings they had and took out some drones while seeing they are getting banelings. Reapers are definitely for scouting with a little harassment.

10. RascaL253

RascaL253 New Member

In 1v1 I think it's useless...

In team games on the other hand they can certainly be viable. Not necessarily because of the great damage you deal, but because you can provide a little harrasment early then transition perfectly into hellions and banshees.

11. sc2scoorge

sc2scoorge New Member

i felt its pretty dead, i dunno about platinum or masters league tho, just speaking on gold and silver.
    i've never used reapers myself but had them used against me at the start of sc2, now, not so much.
    i guess it takes real expert to use them effectively, and my friend who used to use them a lot has stopped

12. Azuth247

Azuth247 New Member

Australia
    REAPER - cost effective or not..?

I find that to get a min of 4-6 reapers rushing into and enemy base will take to long, sure you can kill a few workers and maybe damage the base.. But by this stage zerg are already half way to your front line (which will be minimal, as you spent your resouces on reapers) and protoss either has a few stalkers or alot of zealots ready to attack your as a counter.

As for a eaper rush against another terran player well thats just suicide provided they are not new to the game. should be atleast several marines maybe even marauders.

In conclusion, the only time using reapers will actually result in a win is against Newb (no-Macro) players who wont react until a few drones/Probes are already dead hence - Not worth the risk..

Save your gas for Banshee's as a tier 2 Counter attack..