1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joneagle_X's WWI StarCraft 2 Review

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by MeisterX, Jul 3, 2008.

Joneagle_X's WWI StarCraft 2 Review

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by MeisterX, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I hope you guys enjoy my article. A lot of thought and work has gone into it. I tried to represent everything in the game that has any sort of important or has been changed at all. Of course, I will never remember everything so feel free to start asking questions. I'll try to answer everything I can in this thread but please remember that I'm on vacation and have only dial-up internet from my cell phone, so it's very slow. I will answer what I can when I can.

Without further ado, please enjoy my report!

Please source this article if you intend to use it on your own website! Thanks!

[FONT=&quot]Blizzard’s Worldwide Invitational is a chance for players from around the globe to participate in tournaments involving Blizzard titles outside the conventional competitive setting. However, the Invitational is also a chance for Blizzard to showcase their latest titles and allow the public access to these upcoming games. Of course, you should all know about the highlight of the event, the announcement of the next step in the Diablo series, Diablo III. What most of our readers on Starcraft2Forum.org are interested in above all else, however, is the gameplay from Starcraft 2. That’s what I’m here to bring to you, my personal and raw interpretation and review of this game.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]After having also played the game in Irvine in March, and having played Starcraft 2 for over 18 hours this weekend, I believe I can claim to have the lengthiest play time with the current builds of Starcraft 2, probably in the world. In summation of my experience I can say that the game is absolutely riveting but there remains a number of problems, including some difficulties in the overall mechanics of the game and the interaction between races. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’ll take a similar approach to the review as I did in my last report, starting with each race and then finishing with a complete overview of the interaction between the three races and possible solutions to the problems foreseen during the time I had to play the game.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Protoss[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Protoss are overall very similar to how they were in Irvine. The race has a fixed number of options early game that slowly diversifies as the game progresses. The multitude of new units at mid game for the Protoss really opens up a myriad of strategies. When facing a Zerg opponent, the strategic options are very similar to the original StarCraft. You might choose to go with Colossus and Stalkers mixed with Zealots, or you might choose High Templars. The Colossus are perfect against, well, anything. The High Templars and Psi Storm are still very effective, although Roaches are a bit more ideally suited to surviving and avoiding Psi Storm and take so much more damage than Hydralisks that the High Templar option at this time isn’t as effective as the Colossus. In addition, the Colossus has an upgrade that allows you to extend the damage area of the heat beam, which makes the unit even more dangerous.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Against Terran, the Colossus is also very effective. In fact, the Colossus seems to be pretty overpowered. The only real counter on the ground is the Siege Tank. I tried to use Jackals in a similar role as Vultures in order to keep Stalkers and Colossus at a distance, but that proved very difficult as the Colossus can wipe out an entire group of Jackals by itself. It appears the only Terran counter to the Colossus is either a large amount of focus-firing tanks, or air power. From the viewpoint of the Protoss, the Nullifier and Colossus are two of the best options, in addition to the obvious counter of Immortals. The Immortal can all but make the Siege Tank useless. Mix in Immortals, Colossus, Stalkers, and Zealots, and the Terran player will find it very hard to counter such a force. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Against a Protoss opponent the options are much more limited. It seems to standard fare for a PvP match is most definitely Zealots with the Charge upgrade, and Immortals with Hardened Shield researched. This matchup is still very much dependant on the sheer number of units the player can produce. Much of the same mechanics come into play. A useful hint is that the Warp Gates produce units much, much quicker than the traditional Gateway. The cool down required by each gateway is up to five seconds shorter than the build time of the respective unit. Therefore with a bit of micromanagement a player can churn out a significantly larger amount of Zealots anywhere on the map. This offers a nice counter balance to the MBS argument. Proper use of the Warp-In mechanic and sheer macro seem to be the most important aspects of this matchup, as well as the timely research of the required abilities, Charge and Hardened Shield. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lastly, the third tier of the Protoss has very much been narrowed. The Carrier has reverted to its original form minus the upgrades. It costs 200 minerals and 400 gas, which is extremely expensive. Right off the bat it can produce eight interceptors, but overall the unit is very, very weak. It's extremely ineffective in relation to its cost. The unit at the moment is worthless. The Mothership has also reverted to something similar to its original form. It's very powerful and very expensive but has lost a few abilities. Now it only employs Time Bomb, Recall,and Energy Distribution. Recall is a recent ability that allows the player to transport their entire army to the Mothership’s location. However, because the Mothership is now extremely slow it is almost beyond use as an offensive unit. In my opinion its recall ability is useful mostly as a “town portal” type ability. If you’re caught late-game with your pants down, this unit is great to bring your forces back to a defensive position.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overall the Protoss look very polished. They feel very cohesive and have a sufficient amount of strategic options. Some units are simply too strong and other simply too weak, but the Protoss arsenal seems full. I do not foresee any major changes to this race because all the necessary functions are there.

...Continued in next post...
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

ninerman13 and Psionicz like this.
  2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [FONT=&quot]The Terran[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the original StarCraft the Terran were known as the “glass cannon.” Their units are very powerful but lack any real damage tanks, like the Ultralisk or Archon. In the sequel some changes have occurred to reduce this dependence on range while still maintaining the “glass cannon” status that makes up the race’s identity. These steps include the addition of the Marauder, the Thor, and the new shape of the Supply Depot. The Marauder is an expensive early infantry unit that is very similar in its role to that of the Medic. It lends longevity to the Marine which can now be mass produced from the Barracks because of the reactor addition. The Thor acts like a shock absorber even though it’s role at the moment focuses primarily on air defense. On a side note, I expect the Thor to be thrust more into the “damage tank” role and become more similar to its original role as it currently lacks any real identity. Lastly, the new Supply Depot makes walling in so easy and routine that players can simply wall off and prevent all but the earliest rushes and the lowering ability of the Supply Depot allows offensive movements while also supporting a solid defensive structure that can be manned by as few as two or three Marines.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When facing a Protoss opponent, the traditional units come into play. Tanks and Marines are very effective and an interspersing of Marauders can all but make Zealots obsolete. In fact, without the Charge upgrade, Zealots are all but useless against Marauders. The problem is the Marauder’s cost. They’re very expensive and tough to produce in any significant number. This creates a dilemma in that often Marauders become a target because of their cost. Marines are much, much more expendable than they were in the past because of the rate at which they can be produced from the Reactor. Now Marines can be produced so quickly and in such numbers that a Terran player can simply overwhelm his opponent unless the opponent has some kind of splash damage unit (Banelings, Colossus). Surprisingly, this is actually a viable strategy. It forces your opponent to become defensive and at the very least will gain the Terran player map control, especially with support from a powerful air unit like the Banshee.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Viking, however, seems to have lost its bite. It's still rather expensive at 125 minerals and 75 gas, and is effective mostly against light units like the Zealot. However, it is still useful against units like the Siege Tank, Colossus, Capital Ships, and light air units. Cost for cost the Viking is very effective against the Mutalisk, but I attribute this mostly to the weakness of Zerg air units. However, I would still say that Terran isn't having any trouble in the air, partly because of the weakness of the Zerg in the air. But at the moment there is no need for a light air fighter like the Predator.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The most obvious issue with Terran at the moment is the Battlecruiser. Frankly, the unit is so unbalanced that it is absolutely unstoppable. When faced with only 10 Battlecruisers against an unskilled opponent (whom I had allowed to live after early game domination simply to explore the higher tiers of Zerg) I was unable to summon enough of a force to stand in their way even from six expansions and almost complete map control. The combined power of a large group of Corruptors and a large group of Hydralisks was so ineffective against these Capital Ships that I killed only three of the ten. In the plainest of terms, the unit needs to be nerfed. Part of the problem is that the Zerg no longer have a high damage air unit similar to the Scourge. The other problem is that the Battlecruiser does not waste damage. It fires a long burst of small lasers that pass on to the next unit after the unit it’s attacking is killed.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Terran have clearly had a graphical update. Each unit is much more detailed, including logos on each individual Marine and an update in the shape of the Marine’s shields. From what I’ve been told in interviews at WWI each of the other two races can expect a similar revamp. Overall the race is solid but lacks identity for the Thor as well as some real strategic options. The race is currently too dependent upon their ability to produce masses of certain units, which is not congruent with the race’s age-old identity. Expect some of these issues to be resolved in the coming months.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Zerg[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Zerg have the longest distance to travel as a cohesive race. Their appearance has certainly improved but this race is still at a severe disadvantage in certain matchups. They lack air power and many of their units are too weak and expensive to have any effect on the battlefield. Most of this is caused by the race’s singular identity. It's a tough task to balance the Zerg’s dependence on a mass of units with the cost required to produce these units. Too cheap and the Zerg can just overpower the other races too early. Too expensive and the units become useless, as they are now.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    The first problem is the Corruptor. This unit has been weakened severely. It still infests any air unit it kills but the infested unit does not contribute to the tide of the air battle. This completely eliminates the unit’s original role and means that the unit is both expensive and ineffective. It fails to provide enough damage to Capital Ships to even be considered against them. Just two or three Phoenixes can completely eliminate a swarm of these units with just one or two Overloads.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Mutalisk faces a similar fate. While this, similar to the problem with the Corruptor, is a balance problem that will not doom the unit, it weakens the race’s ability to compete from the mid-tier onward. Also, because of its inability to stack and the resulting spacing issues, as well as the Thor’s new area of effect air attack severely limit the Mutalisk’s impact as a harassing unit.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another obvious issue is the Queen and the Zerg’s very early game strategies. There are two new defensive buildings for the Zerg that are built using a Drone instead of the Queen as it was previously. The Spine Crawler is the replacement for the Sunken Colony, and is built directly from the Drone and requires the Spawn Pool. This creates a problem in very early game Zerg vs. Zerg matchups because a slight delay in acquiring the Spawn Pool can spell a player’s doom through an easily executed Spine Crawler rush. The defending player, even with only a five second delay in building their Spawn Pool, can be faced with an insurmountable attack in the form of three or four enemy Spine Crawlers built on their own creep. Drones are insufficient to counter the threat and the delay in building your own Spine Crawlers is deadly. The only counter which I didn’t explore was building a Queen early instead of the Spawn Pool. Using this strategy and Drones may be enough to halt any early attack, but it is unclear whether it will be sufficient to stop a focused Zergling attack.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Queen is still an issue in that she has become more and more of a defensive unit. She is quite quick whenever she is on creep, including enemy creep, but the minute she leaves it she slows to a crawl. She’s absolutely ineffective off of the creep in any way. She’s also very vulnerable to attack throughout the game and is a huge loss because of the amount of time and monetary investment required to maintain her as a unit. Her abilities are worthwhile (like her ability to heal any building or unit 150 HP instantly, or her swarm defense ability which allows her to add defense to any building at her Huge Queen stage). Her attack has been changed to a ranged attack and has been weakened, although at her Huge Queen stage she still has a formidable HP of 600. She still has a way to go as far as balancing her abilities because, for example, her ranged attack all but nullifies the effect of an early Mutalisk rush. Overlords are a much more tantalizing target in the current circumstances because the Queen can singlehandedly fend off up to about five Mutalisks.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Overall the Zerg are making progress. They’re becoming more diversified strategically, such as the change in the Roach’s role and the addition of moving base defenses, as well as the mechanic which allows you to build Creep Tumors directly from the Hatchery without a Drone, and then allows you to build another Creep Tumor from each successive Creep Tumor for only 50 minerals. This combined with the Overlord’s ability to spread Creep has made Creepan effective weapon for the Zerg in halting expansion and as a “boost” in their force’s effectiveness. I think we will see further exploration on the part of Blizzard of this spreading Creep as the primary identifier of the Zerg race.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

...Continued in next post...
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [FONT=&quot] Some of the new units that we’re seeing out of the Zerg are also quite exciting. The Swarm Guardian fires spores that deal 40 damage to all ground units, and also spawns broodlings which are absolutely ineffective but are good at drawing the fire of units and are especially useful against Terran Siege Tanks. These little intruders draw the tank’s fire which causes devastating friendly fire effects. Just a few attacks on a mineral line of SCVs will completely destroy the enemy’s economy with their own firepower. However, you no longer need more than two or three of these units unless you aim to go after static defenses. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another interesting addition is the Mutant Larva which is an ability of the Queen. She can instantly morph any larva into this mutant larva which takes time to build. However, once the larva is built it can be transformed into any Zerg unit almost instantaneously. This is great for producing Mutalisks or other advanced units even earlier and en masse before their tech is even available. You can build ten of these larva and then wait for your spire to complete while saving up resources. As soon as the Spire finishes you can then produce ten Mutalisks almost instantaneously without even a second hatchery. This speeds up the tech of Zerg exponentially and will have enormous benefits for quick tech. It also provides a lot to the macro managing player.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The last issue dealing with the Zerg is the Hydralisk and Lurker. The Hydralisk is at tier 2 but costs 100 minerals and 100 gas. This makes the unit all but impossible to produce en masse. It now deals 13 damage, but at the moment has only 80 HP which makes it unsuitable for combat unless supported heavily by other units. This means that the unit is mostly a means to an end to attain Lurkers. However, the Lurker mutation of the Hydralisk also seems under powered. It deals 10 splash damage in a line similarly to Brood War but deals 13 extra damage to armored units. However, in the face of its added cost it isn’t a very effective unit, especially considering its immobility and its relatively low bonus compared to other units (Marauder gets +20 damage against armor and is tier 1).

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Overall[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The game is certainly shaping up. The interaction between the races has improved each time I’ve played and there are at least semblances of counters to each strategic option. While there are still a few units that simply over power the competition, most of the issues are easily fixed. In my opinion the Protoss are nearly finished. They’re polished, look great, play well,and are diverse. The terran and Zerg are much further behind, and I actually feel that the Zerg are in a stronger position as far as development because they have a solid race identity at this time, mostly because of their different play style which now relies so strongly on the queen and expansion of Creep. This identity has a clear path of development and should ensure that the Zerg are a challenging and fun race to play in the new game. They certainly offer a much more diverse reaction to the standard Protoss gameplay and open the race to users who previously might not have been capable of handling units like the Lurker and Defiler to their utmost ability.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Terran have the longest way to go as far as finding their identity. Right now they’re relying on numbers rather than placement or strategic strength to get the job done. In fact, at times it seems that they are capable of outnumbering the Zerg and it is the Zerg who have to then resort to splash attacks to survive the onslaught. This should never occur. The Terran need an interesting twist in their strategic mechanic to keep them viable in StarCraft 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Whatever your instinct, and whether or not you’ve played this new game, I would encourage you to continue to follow its development as it nears later stages. I believe the game is progressing in leaps and bounds and I eagerly await the next update which should include some major changes to the Terran race.[/FONT]

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Great I have been waiting for this one, but the text is a bit big? Im gonna read now!

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It's not big, it's a tightly packed seriffed type and they literally murdered my eyes by the time I cut through these posts.

I'm surprised you deem the Zerg to be better than Terran but I can see your point, it being identity. Most of the issues you mentioned are directly related to balancework though, so they don't mean much in terms of which race is closer to being finished.

Thanks for the info, and we mourn your camera.

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Very well done and sexy report.

I would like to ask whether you think the Colossus would be less overpowered and have more of a micro aspect to it with its old attack?

Marauder or Medic? Or both?

Thor limits the use of the Viking? As to me the Viking seems like a unit which could be used all game, but with the Thor changes, it seems to limit it, to only be used as a harasser or to catch tanks off guard.

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    You posted the same post twice.

Questions only to JON:
    Zerg:
    How much did the Roach cost?
    The Lurkers + 10 armor makes it weakers against Marines, its counter in sc2, how did that work in?
    + 20 vs armor for the Marauder, are you sure? Other sites say between 5 - 10
    The Hydralisk, cant be build in masse so? Did the zerg feel less massing then?
    Early air attack vs Zerg: Did the hdyralisks big gas cost hinder you in definding phoenix (or what its called/spelled)) / dt rushes (bisu-build)?

Terran:
    Has the Thor found its right place?
    Did you miss the medics, and how usefull were the marauders compared to the old medics?
    Was the reaper very usefull, compared to the medivac dropship, or did those two just overlap?
    So the Terran can fight against Stalker/Immortals if they use Marines + Tanks? Does that mean that this build is usefull: Barracks + reactor with Factory + Tech Lab?
    Was the Jackals "fire" usefull against Zerg and Zealots?

Protoss:
    The MS was build at the Nexus, so in lategame you can have it everywhere where you have bases, doesnt that make up for its slowness?
    The collosus was OP, what should be done with it? Is reducing its damage enought?

Overall:
    Was it possible to do more strategies compared to SCBW? Also not just vultures/tanks against Dragoons/Zealots?
    How long do you think it will take Blizzard to finish the gameplay (not the missions)?
    Were all units usefull (overlaps perhaps a bit with the first question)?
    Did you have a good time? :D

Ill add more if I remember more.
    PS: Should I make a topic were I wrote all questions and answers down? Or will you?
    PSS: I have given him a reputation point for the post, just so that we dont all give him a point, because I think its so the system should work or?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The Colossus might indeed be more balanced with an attack that simply does not waste damage, but for the cost I think it needs that "mass" destruction aspect that it has. I think the damage rate just needs to be reduced. Just one or two can completely turn the tide of a gigantic battle. It's almost unfair. But that's just a balance issue. :D The Colossus is a great unit and it has a new attack animation. The beam starts at one spot and sweeps either left or right. It's no longer a "fan" of lasers.

The Marauder is entirely sufficient to help keep your Marines alive. The Terran can do completely without a Medic. If she's needed at all it would be in the later tiers when you can get the Medivac Dropship (which I still hate). I just wish the darn Marauder weren't so expensive.

The Thor is a lost soul. I don't know where it fits and neither does Blizzard. The Viking, however, is useful, but is pretty expensive for being relatively weak. It's good to drop in and surprise units and is especially good against tanks, like you said. I prefer the Banshee 100 fold.

9. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Excellent, excellent, excellent report!

I am actually not surprised that the Zerg surpassed the Terrans in terms of development, and based on what I've heard/seen I completely agree with you. Once Blizzard figures out how to deal with the Thor (to be honest I'd be in favor of total scrapage for something new and exciting), the Battlecruiser, and mass Marines, we should see a better emergence of their race identity.

Jeez I just get more and more excited about this game every single day. I swear that it's going to be the downfall of me in medical school hahaha.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    JON please answer all my questions if you have the time.
    And i got 3 more:
    - Did the 2 gas make it possible to go for more gas heavy strategies (very fast tech, things like phoneix (or how its spelled) + dt from one base etc.)
    - How did it work with the 6 workers 5 minerals per field? Was
    - What do you think of the "minerals for gas" abbility in the extractor?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  11. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    Great Report, JonEagleX! I sure hope that Blizzard reads feedbacks like yours to improve the game!

12. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I just soiled my pants. Focused beam FTW! Did both sides of the head of the colossus emit the beam or was it alternating? How fast was it moving from side to side? Please compare it to a move speed of an SC1 unit. I want to know everything about the unit! :twitcy:

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Take it easy kuvasz, you want a cake? :D
    Yeah its great the old one is back, the new one was sick, blocked the screen completly.

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I will answer questions I didn't already answer above.
    75 minerals, 25 gas (Same as past Hydralisk)

Lurkers are definitely weaker against Marines. They're better for taking out large groups of Vikings and Jackals or Stalkers, but overall I found them pretty useless relative to their cost. I only tried to use them once and learned my lesson quickly.

According to my notes the Marauder has +14 damage to Armored units. I said 20 in the article only because I was emphasizing the point.

No, just certain units. I'm disappointed with the Hydralisk and Lurker, but that's just a cost issue. I think it is easily corrected. The problem is balancing its use while keeping it separate from the Roach.

I tended to be more reliant upon the Roach and Mutalisk. The Corruptor is relatively cheap and since it can be built directly from the Lair tech without a Spire it can respond quickly to air threats. It's just not effective against Capital Ships in ANY way. I didn't find the absence of the Hydralisk to be particularly worrisome. It's just difficult when you need a strong ranged unit. I utilized mostly Banelings and Zerglings but it is difficult, I assure you.

I found the Reaper to be very useful against Light units. They absolutely own Marines pound for pound. They do the same to Zealots. Their mobility is also a huge advantage. Bringing the Medivac Dropship along just slows them down. They're fine on their own. Just run when there's a serious fight. I also liked to leave my mines behind and retreat slowly, thereby causing MASSIVE damage to any serious force pursuing me.

Yes, but you will take massive losses with your Marines. The trade off is that you can produce so many Marines so quickly that it hardly even matters. I liked to intersperse some Marauders because of their higher hit points.

Yes. I said somewhere in the article that beyond those early light units, though, the Jackal becomes useless. Remember how the Vulture was pretty much helpless against Dragoons? It's the same way with the Jackal and Stalker except amplified. The Jackal has only 90 HP and so is very susceptible to all attacks. Just two swipes from a Colossus will destroy an entire group at once. But it's very nice to deal a lot of splash damage to Zealots and Zerglings. It's also very effective against Roaches. I just wouldn't produce them en masse. That's why I don't understand why the Reactor for the Factory produces Jackals instead of Vikings like it used to. Maybe even allow it to produce two tanks?

To a degree, yes. I don't know if you guys are understanding the true SLOWNESS of the Mothership in this build, though. We're talking 10 minutes to cover a medium-sized map. Slower than a floating Command Center from SCBW. Much sloThere are often four or five ways to counter a specific strategy rather than the one you usually have in StarCraft.

No one can say. Asking the same question over and over doesn't do anyone any good. I would expect the beta in October.

Most units were useful. I think some were a little overpriced and a bit too weak like the Hydralisk and Lurker. For their cost there are just better options.

I had a good time but it was pretty difficult to get around and get things done. Also lost my camera :-\.

Yes, please do. Name it the "Official Q&A Compilation, WWI 2008"

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The two gases were really there to counterbalance the fact that a lot more buildings require gas. The whole new gas system is really there to give the whole game a little more macromanagement requirements. But yes, you can tech much more quickly but you will also mine less. It's the same trade off as in the original.

The number of minerals you had was always an increment of five, so it was a little easier to spend. But I don't think it really changed the gameplay at all. I don't think it's better or worse. I think if you had the whole 8 that it used to be the gameplay might be a little TOO fast, but I'm unconvinced. I don't think there's a real reason.

I think it's annoying, but I do think it brings a little more macromanagement in. If that's what's necessary... I don't think it will be in the final build. They'll find something more interesting. I had heard a similar idea to it from the design team. They said originally that they had an ability which costs 100 minerals that instead of regaining operation of your extractor you would be able to mine with six workers from it for a short period of time.

But the good thing about the way it is now is that your gas never permanently depletes. That means you can continue to use higher tiered units later in the game and the chances of running out of resources altogether is much lower.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I noticed in your stat compilaton that most buildings, especially the Terran ones, have a lot less hp. How does that play? I also noticed that the Siege Tank has its old SC1 hp, and 80 damage. You've written that it does "15(80 sieged)(+8 light)" damage? What?... Bonus vs light?

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Nikzad did the Terran stats. Some of them are missing. :-\

But yes, bonus versus Light.

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Bad Nikzad. I wondered why the Battlecruiser wasn't included at all. xD

Bt you did say you were 100% sure about the Rax, Fact and Star hp, didn't you? So question still stands, since you must have had time to both play and face Terran.

19. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Does the ability of the Thor to rebuild itself make it a viable tank option, or is it's ground attack so weak that the enemy can just ignore it until all your other units are dead? And do you think that the Battlecruiser needs 2 abilities? Wouldn't it be more sensible to just have Yamamoto Cannon, and leave the air splash to the Thor so there is less overlap.

Edit: One more thing, who do Nydus worms work now?

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

How did the ghost play out if you even used it. How early can you nuke and what abilitys do the ghost have currently?

and the Nomad how was the Nomad if you even used it.