1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest SC2 info from sc2pod

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 28, 2008.

Latest SC2 info from sc2pod

Discussion in 'WWI 2008' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    After Extractors etc run out of gas, you can "upgrade" them for 100 minerals to gain an extra 400 gas. This has to be done quite often so adds to the macro-part of game.

Creep tumors spread creep fast, you simply select one and place the next one cheaply within a radius, really easy.

Roaches can be very very deadly.

Warp in is INSANE, you get your units instantly, anywhere you want within pylon power. That includes below a Prism in your enemy's base.

The queen can "save" larvae for later with the ability "Mutate larvae", this allows for another larvae to spawn. The mutated larvae can be morphed into any unit in 3 seconds, allowing for instant resupply of your armies if you got the resources. The Mutated Larvae can also move around and take 1 pop. Kind of like warp-in for Zerg, but not as simple.

Nydus worm works like this: You load units into it at any worm, the units are then inside all worms across the map (kind of like a big bunker), then you can load them off at any exit. You are never at a risk to loose your units. If the exit is destroyed you can always unload the units in your base.

The Jackal kind of is a fast firebat on wheels, they even gave it the firebat voice for now.

Source:
    http://www.sc2pod.com/news/45_new_photos/

I don't know if I like the gas thing. When a geyser runs out of gas, I think you're supposed to get a new one.

Warp In sound ridiculous now that you get the units instantly. I think it will be abused. There should atleast be a 3-5 second cooldown before they're fully warped in.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I wonder if you can warp into enemy pylon systems?

3. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Wonder what the Marauder sounds like then...

3 - 5 Seconds is a long time in SC. That's enough for all your units to die.

You still need to get your Prism into an appropriate spot, and at least now it has credible functionality as a fast attack tactic.

I think there's time to kill a Prism when its flying to its destination and doing the mini-transformation.

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the Extractors thing doesnt sound that good, in fact, gas is unlimited in the game, where as minerals is not, tho most play styles do rely on gas more than minerals. so idk...HRM...

and the Warp-In could be balance with just a 1-2 second warp time. that i think could balance it, but what do we know?

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It was even said your workers can only gather 5 minerals at a time and it is no longer 8. Wtf?

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Your quote disturbs me. :D I hope that the guy sayin' that played just one map that accidentaly had 2 geysers, It wouldn't be good if a majority of the maps had two. And 5 mins instead of 8? That gotta be BS, I atleast hope so.

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    This is interesting stuff.

Does the "upgrade" mechanic exist between all races? Or is it just with the Zerg? If not- how do the others make up for it?

Fenix: I seriously, seriously doubt they've extended warp-in to be usable with enemy Pylon systems.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think all races can upgrade their Extractors/Refineries/Assimilators Neon, because it says "After Extractors etc run out of gas..." Which means that they just were too lazy to write all three names.

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It's amazing how fast the game seems to be paced now. The game's going to force you to be on alert 24/7. I mean, instant warp-in? Mutated larvae? All this mobile production is going to add another dimension to the game. Me likes.

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the vespene thing kinda sucks :( i liked it when you could harvest depleted geysers for a tiny bit better.

mutated larvae sounds good, easier to respond if you have a few of those, it would be awesome if it could spit acid for a small ammount of damage.

11. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

I could see the vespene renewal being kind of a nice little feature if you could only do it once. If you weren't paying attention and your supply ran out and you didn't have any other source of gas you'd be stuck for a bit until you went and found a new one. If you could use this once it'd just kinda help keep you going until you found a new one and started up there but wouldn't keep you going for a long time at all since 400 gas would go fast in BroodWar and now goes even faster in SC2.

Also i like the mutated larva it gives the zerg more of that "infinite numbers" feel since they can now quickly place units into the battle.

12. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Had a nasty strategy idea. Creep barf in their base, deep tunnel the queen then hatch a batch of Ultralisks in the middle of their base, then deep tunnel out. Cruel. LOL!!

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Prodigal, the Queen can only Deep Tunnel to one of your buildings, so in essence you would need to start makeing a building, which requires a Nydus Worm most of the time(im think that its in a developed base with defense around the ground door way), and then you can just use the Nydus Worm instead, and Deep Tunnel back to your base, because Deep Tunnel does have a cool down time.

14. gh0st08

gh0st08 Guest

The gas thing sounds really cool this will enable blizzard to make sure there is good amount of skill/alertness required for the players to macro, so this way they can allow other new features such ad multi building selection and so on.. of course the number of 400 gas can be changed after testing..

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That would be interesting. They should at least let you use an allied power field

16. I think the new gas mechanism (Assuming it runs out quicker than StarCraft (1) like in the broadcasted matches) can make people want to expand more, and quicker, but still allowing a few back-up plans, and allowing early gas tactics without expanding... More possible strategies = Great to me.