1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meloku's Blizzcon Experience!

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2007' started by Meloku, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Meloku's Blizzcon Experience!

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2007' started by Meloku, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Thanks a bunch 10-Neon for kindly answering my questions. My reaction was:

- What...
    - What??
    - WHAT THE F~~!!!!!!!???

And this whole time I didn't even know that the current version SC2 ghost has no lockdown, shame on me.

2. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

No lockdown? Cool, less micro and more carnage.

3. paragon

paragon Guest

You should look at more games.

Company of Heroes
    http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/617/rakettiiskuvk2.jpg
    http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2243/flaimingyb7.jpg
    http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1994/downbytheriverkl3.jpg
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/Leviathan9/relic00523.jpg

mind you those probably aren't on the highest settings. And even if you say "but blah blah blah!! SC2 graphics are better!!," technically speaking, the Essence Engine of Company of Heroes is more advanced than the SC2 engine. And it's over a year old.

and of course:
    World in Conflict
    http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalevents/e3/viv_wic_large_2.jpg
    http://www.gamersreports.com/images/news/worldinconflict.gif
    http://www.juegomania.org/World+in+Conflict/fotos/pc/11/11011_t/Foto+World+in+Conflict.jpg
    http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/779/779113/world-in-conflict-20070409015525103.jpg
    http://www.juegomania.org/World+in+Conflict/fotos/pc/11/11011/Foto+World+in+Conflict.jpg
    http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/779/779113/world-in-conflict-20070409015522447.jpg
    http://www.ixbt.com/news/games/_console/world_incon/l/1.jpg

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Are those multiplayer RTSs too?

5. paragon

paragon Guest

yes... single player and multiplayer.
    Are there still RTS games that are just single player?

In fact, the emphasis of World in Conflict is the multiplayer and they are trying to make it a super competitive game which, from the beta, it is. But they are also making a killer singleplayer for it.

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Sorry I don't get out much these days. With the son and all...

7. vinzel

vinzel New Member

great review!!!! you're absolutely correct in everything, but you miss one thing the predator looks so stupid

8. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Well, it depends on what you mean by useless. When a Warp gate is "charged" it is capable of warping in any of the units on its build list or switching back to Gateway mode. While it won't start charging for another unit until you actually "discharge" the Warp Gate, it is otherwise fully functional. To make units at the same rate as a Gateway, yes, you have to keep an eye on it, constantly placing as it charges in order to build units at the most rapid pace(that's easy though, x Warp Gates in a control group, selected, y ready to place units, it'll tell you that y are ready for the whole group), you have the huge advantage of being able to place those units right at the front of the battlefield (say, at the Pylons powering your forward defenses, or your deployed Phase Prism, behind your enemy's forward defenses.) If you just need to amass an army at your base, just switch back to Gateway mode (it doesn't let you until you have a charge, since the building's cooldown is like the unit's build time.) and proceed as usual. You probably won't have enough income on a normal map to continuously place units with 6+ Gates anyway, though inattention might cause you some lost opportunity if you're working with 1-4 Gates.

Ok, a car analogy. The build time with a Gateway is like saving up to pay for a car in cash: you can't use it until you have all of the money you are going to pay the dealer. Using a Warp Gate is like paying for a car in monthly payments: you get the car right away, but still have to pay for it. Now, when buying a car, you have to worry about interest and stuff like that, but the Warp Gate does not charge... "time interest," so the only disadvantage is that you can't queue multiple units. This is more than made up for in the flexibility and rapidity of placement (assuming your attention isn't totally bogged down elsewhere).

I imagine that pros would use Warp In exclusively, for the flexibility and responsiveness it gives them, not only in unit placement, but in mineral expenditure, facilitated by their incredible multitasking.

9. DontHate

DontHate New Member

wouldn't it just be a lot easier if blizzard, say, made the warp gate had a que? so i understand now i think. Each time you get a unit but u wait a little then u get another unit after that wait is done and so on.

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I think they give the building two different forms specifically to create "skill differentiation"-- good players will know when to use each form, probably keeping units pouring onto the battlefield from the Warp Gate as fast as their minerals let them, while weaker players will lose build opportunities because they don't check on the building often enough.

11. DontHate

DontHate New Member

that's odd, i thought blizzard was making this game easier for beginner type players... they made the peons directly go to the minerals, they made the box thing able to have a lot more units selected, they added supgroup type things so if u have a large group of units you can still use 1 of them's ability, and some more stuff. I'm not sure why they would make it harder to use warp gates if they're trying to ease up the game.

12. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

they are making it alot easier for noobs by fixing the shortcomings in command and control issues, so pro players wont win solely becuase of their apm. however because sc2 has to be a competitive game they need features that will highly differentiate the noobs from the pros. Also, all the leet micro abilities are upgrades, so if you know you cant use the ability very well than you just dont upgrade.

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Actually adding a unit queue to the warpgate makes less sense or at the very least, not particularly necessary, due to its nature. Warp-in is a highly tactical option, what good is it if your second batch of units queued for warp-in end up being left way behind or in the middle of heavy crossfire because the battle has shifted?

And as for the noob-friendly aspect, GuiMontag has pointed things out nicely. Streamlining the user control interface to make it more accessible and fluid isn't really the same thing as making it noob-friendly. I think in the end, SC2 will still have the same learning curve as SC1 overall. Another fact is, Blizzard is making the game for the core gamer as primary focus, not the beginners.

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I didn't fully understand the warp gate mechanics until a few days ago, and in response to:
    can you imagine this sort of thing on a money map? crazy! 24 warp gates simultaneously warping shit in?!? NUTS

If you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all. ;)

15. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
  16. paragon

paragon Guest

Um that was constructive. He was flat out wrong and had to be corrected. If you want to live in a world where people who are wrong should not be corrected then you should go find some fantasy land because that is not this world.

17. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

what I was trying to say in a more general sense was, what was the purpose of that post, other than to "put meloku in his place"? did what meloku say really have that much of an effect on what he was relating to us from BlizzCon? we've all seen screenshots and have a good idea what the graphics are like. I think he was just trying to say that they looked a lot better and smoother in person

18. paragon

paragon Guest

Except on his reply he confirms that he meant what I thought he meant.

19. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well I think I would respond in the same way if someone was trying to discredit one of my comments
    still, it is not true, and although I can't see the pictures you linked, I'm sure they corroborate what you were trying to get across

but your post doesn't answer the questions that I asked in my previous post

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Paragon I don't always agree with everything you say. As a matter of fact, I often find myself disagreeing with your opinions. This time, I understand what you said and I don't believe that you are wrong in the meaning of the post itself. But I also do not think Nikzad is wrong because I can understand where he is coming from.

Since I honestly don't have anything personal against you, this is what I will say to you, take it how you will. Just be a little nicer to everyone, why can't you do that? When you first came to this forum I found myself liking most things you posted on a consistent basis, but as time went on I found that sometimes your attitude just stinks man. I think people will listen to you more if you just word your posts in a more friendly manner. You are obviously an intelligent individual, why are you making it so people don't want to listen to what you have to say? That's such a waste.

That's it, that's all I gotta say. Hate me or love me, that's up to you. But at least give it some consideration. Being just a little bit nicer to people isn't the hardest thing to do in the world.

EDIT: Besides, there can only be one badass on these forums, and that's me. People get intimidated and dislike me just from looking at my avatar LOL. Arrrggggg~~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.