1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metal, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by reject_666_6, Jun 1, 2007.

Metal, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by reject_666_6, Jun 1, 2007.

1. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Anybody here like heavy metal? Whether it be Death, Thrash, Black, Folk, Power, Melodic Death, NWOBHM, Doom, Grind, Gothic, Progressive, Dark Ambiant, Sludge, Deathcore, Stoner, Industrial, Blackened Death... heck, even Punk, Hardcore, Metalcore or Nu-Metal, I want you to post here! ;)

2. mc2

mc2 New Member

I use to don't mind heavy metal until one of my friend totally turned me off it.....
    he put his ipod in my ear and all i could hear is these loud bangings and the lyrics were something like "F F F F F F F F sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t"

apart from that i ok with it :)

3. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Yeah, my preferred choice of metal is usually with some actual meaningful lyrics. Or at least anything better than what you said... ;D

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I listen to video game soundtracks. And classical. And show tunes.
    A lot of popular genres of music lean too heavily on drums for my tastes. Most of the rest relies on really lame(I'm not talking offensive, I'm talking "Oh, I love you so much I can't function as a human whenever I am not looking directly at you," which somehow makes up 85% of everything.), repetitive lyrics. The worst do both. >_<

5. JBL

JBL New Member

I started enjoy music with metal...

I still listen to some bands now.. but i'm more into dnb, breakcore, idm, experimental, avantgarde, ambient, etc..

here's a quick list of the metal bands I still listen to:

Cynic
    Tvangeste
    Coprofago
    Meshuggah
    Estradasphere (they do some metal in there twisted f***ed up mix genres)
    Age of Silence
    Cephalic Carnage
    Edge of Sanity
    Ephel Duath (this one should be much more known.. you are missing something guys)

Ohh I forgot some more.. lol

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Praxis
    Painkiller
    Naked City (a small project by John Zorn)
    Fantomas (thats metal too I guess)
    Nuclear Rabbit
    Dysrhythmia
    Tomahawk

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Best two bands of all time: Nightwish and Stratovarius.

I'm into the Scandinavian Speed/Gothic metal.....Especially the ones coming out of Finland. I love the heavy metal sound, but can't stand the guttural singing.

7. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Man.. and I had so much respect for you :( Shame shame

Worth Checking out: Isis, Textures, Meshuggah, Jesu, Cult of Luna, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Neurosis, Mastodon, Earth, Maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Mörk Gryning, Ram-Zet, Daylight Dies, Mar de Grises, Opeth, My Dying Bride, An Albatross, The Blood Brothers, Nasum, Amen Ra, Red Sparowes, Pelican, Bongzilla, Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, Boris, Burst, Walls of Jericho, Terror, Converge.

I always get enthousiastic when talking about music

How could I forget ;D

And Fantomas and Tomahawk rock too, I saw the world premiere of Mike Patton's new band Peeping Tom last year on a festival. Their first gig EVER ;D

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

You had respect for me? Wha-?

9. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Well, as a forum member that is.

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Jeez, ya worried me there for a second.

11. JBL

JBL New Member

I'm trying to kill myself every night because I missed Peeping Tom live and I could ahve gone to it..

My friends didn't want to go because they said we were going to see patton live in may at the FIMAV (festival international de musique actuel de victoraville) but he didn't come.. only good show was john zorn solo..

they are so noob.. even if I could see mike patton every day.. I would still never miss a gig... wow I wanna kill myself..

Mr bungle was very great too..

I like when patton sings with dillinger.. its great too..

man.. if you like Meshuggah, check out Coprofago... they are sooooo great..

12. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Well it looks like the tastes are as varied as I'd hoped. ;D

Fenix, you heard about the new Nightwish singer being announced? I haven't heard her sing yet, but I'll buy the new album out of curiosity. ;) You must like Power Metal a lot too. Did you check out Symphony X or Rhapsody?

JBL and coalescence, you two seem like perfect matches. You sure you don't know each other? I think I saw you two hit it off in the DnB thread...

10-Neon, a lot of bands are like you say, but remember that some sub-genres of metal are very closely related to classical in terms of complexity, originality and use of music theory (even though Jazz is way closer to classical than metal :p). Give me an example of what you like and I might remember some good recommendations for you. :thumbup:

The band I just got into recently is Iced Earth, and they're almost my fave band now... :)

13. JBL

JBL New Member

Yes.. we both agree on metal, dnb, and even in the rap thread!! man.. we are the same..

funny fact: i'm from canada... and I always thought I wasn't born to live there..

I was probably born in some weird eastern europe country.. like holland, hungary, or w/e.. maybe in one of these 4 scandinavian countries..

lol we are like forum twins.

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Actually, and don't quote me on this one, as I could be wrong, but I think the new singer sings on a recording of Nemo....They have two, one for the Music Vid, and one separate with a slightly different feel.

I've heard of Symphony X, but never actually heard them....And Rhapsody is amazing.....Very lovely.
    Also, I've been listening to a band called Sirenia lately.....I like 'em.
    I'm just into the operatic singers I guess.

15. JBL

JBL New Member

Woaa a new singer for nightwish?? then it's not nightwish anymore..

any nightwish loving goth teen boy MUST be in love with the old singer and throw up on the new one.. and try to look underground by trying to find out what the old singer is doing right now.. and listening to her new stuff saying it's the old nightwish singer and it kicks ass (Omg I bet coalescence LOL'D to that one)

I don't like rhapsody.. hearing about emerald swords, flying dragons in the sky, saving the homeworld of whoever and killing some mighty evil beast mindcontrolled by some dark wizard isn't something that turns me on, music wise.

16. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I think that its actually their best release.

And I freaking hate power metal (rhapsody, stratovarius, Manowar and worst of all: Sonata Arctica) and goth kids :(

Check out: Tesseract (and do the metal band, not the folk band)

17. JBL

JBL New Member

hehe yeah i knew you didn't like power metal.. thats why I thought you would LOL at my other post..

18. coalescence

coalescence New Member

:p

Holland/The Netherlands isn't a weird eastern europe country (did you see Hostel? The part in holland? Well it isn't shot in holland and we also don't speak german) is a country in western europe. It even is in the top 10 of richest countries (not gross product, because its a small country, but we are by capita :) )

19. JBL

JBL New Member

When I say "weird" it's not a bad thing.. man.. I would love to live there... I'm bored of canada... the countries I stated are in my opinion the best to live in..

but.. holland isnt an eastern europeen country?? wow I gotta take a peek at a map to update my knowledge of europe right now..

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Look at the right side of United Kingdom.

[​IMG]