1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-game protoss vs ....

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Airborne, Aug 2, 2011.

Mid-game protoss vs ....

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Airborne, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Airborne

Airborne New Member

I hate to post this but i wouldn't if i hadn't yet looked up all builds etc...

So very fast said:

Problem: Late-Mid-Game to End

Description: It start to scout after pylon 9, once i detected him and i see he's going for a fast expansion i make 1 stalker, close down my ramp. With my scout i put a pylon into the shadow of his base or outside of it.

I train warpgate

I go for the 4-gate build but combined with dark templars. If i see he hasn't destroyed the pylon in his camp i go for full dark templars.

Defending no problem against early rushes. (Zerg can be a pain from time to time).

But my problem starts with mid-game to end game play. I make HT because he makes Vikings & MMM build. He throws in some banshees aswell.

I have 200/200, full army. Detectors all around, he has 1 expansion, his main camp is out of minerals.

I kept checking if he didn't expand, wich he didn't. 1 expansion and that was the only 1.

I did all the upgrades, air & ground.

Battle starts***

I kill all his MMM troops with my HT. Good deal

He comes in with another storm of MMM, Banshees, Tanks, Vikings, etc....

I know i have a problem with protoss but i like it....

is it me or isn't it good for Protoss to wait for the opponent, esp. Terran. It looks like they make double the army, half the resources.

Should i poke more? Problem is i never know if my army is big enough to handle that. They have barracks on their ramp, full of marines, tanks, detectors...

Long story short:

How do you handle mid-game? More poking? aggresive? Not waiting? Or defend & expand.

2. olmaster

olmaster New Member

Netherlands
    Post replay pls.

Your army is twice as strong and expensive. Terran is moslty sheer numbers and people tend to get scared quickly. Also of turtled in bases. They almost stop if they see more then 3 missile turrets or 2 bunkers.
    Look at your options and keep macroing. In this case you knew he hasn't expanded yet so he could pull off one more trick and lost most of his forces by doing this, he will have to expand. If he micros well you have to really pull him out of his base by showing your forces and maybe use some hallicunations/obs to look at tank and turret placement. These are mostly easy to take out by either VR or Colossus (upgraded). If there is a small hole in his defense he will focus on this. Make use of these things. If he comes back fast again with another army, his base must be almost empty and use units from his base to attack u...check it!.

So find out what is army comp is, find out where his army's at and where the turrets and tanks are located (Phoenix). Lot's of stalkers + hallu sentries or obs (like 3 or so spread around base) will deal with any vikings and banshees.

Keep a group of dt's + warpprisms ready to throw them in once there is an opening. Throw in 3 or 4 first and keep some behind if he's scanning. Focus on killing detection.

Never go for 1 unit armies.. make your comp around counterunits.

If I expand I also expand my gates to say 8 and also my robo's to 2 or 3.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    you need to try to engage him in chocke points, where he is forced to be clumped up. If you have a lot of chargelots and archons, you might want to be in an open area.

make sure you are always chronoboosting 2 upgrades for lategame
    make more gateways/robo/stargate - make 3 for each nexus you have.. pretty much.
    if he turtles, expand, trade armies and remake your army quick, send in waves, you will win since he cannot re-inforce as fast as you.

you didn't mention anything about you expanding... theres your biggest fault, especially when you had map control.

no excuse for not scouting his base, when you have observers.