1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with SC1 graphics

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Peakevo, Aug 4, 2010.

Problem with SC1 graphics

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Peakevo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Peakevo

Peakevo New Member

Hey guys

i went back to SC1 today to try it out because i am kinda lost in the SC2 campaign atm

anyway,so i login and there is this graphical problem,where the left side of my screen flickers black,but only the left side

any fix?

2. Eegore

Eegore New Member

depends, what operating system are you running?

3. DREAD

DREAD New Member

Las Vegas
    also depends ...sc1 is ooooooooooooold so either its a driver issue or corrupt install. My guess a driver issue

4. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    If your using a newish 3D Card like something from nVidia, setting up a custom game profile in the nV control panel for Starcraft1, with the setting set to single screen performance may help. Are you able to take a screenshot of this? I know Windows 7 has its own issue with Starcraft 1 where you need to force-ably endtask explorer.exe to get correct colors.

Are you using SLI/Crossfire? What is your system? Post a DXdiag txt file here if you can.

5. Lady Nova

Lady Nova New Member

Australia
    Actually, i had this glitch before, i was Using X-fire, So what i did was reset the computer, and don't login to X-fire at all,

If your using X-fire that is.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I'm still playing it on occasion on a pc running Win 7 X64. Only messed up colors that appear are in the initial loading screen. After that it's just fine. Never changed anything in any settings to get it to work properly. :/

Installed from a disc, though. Don't know if the USB from the SC2 collector's edition, or the digital download are giving other results. Doubt it matters, but you might never know.

7. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Aurora: That issue is normal in Windows 7 (32 and 64). The solution to the issue is:

Make a .bat file with the following lines:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe"
    pause
    start explorer.exe

This kills explorer for the duration of StarCraft play, and allows for normal colors. I still get corrupt colors in game (The Hunted's water never shows up right), so this is the only way to make the game playable for me. The 'pause' command can be removed at preference.

This has a 100% chance of success. EVERY Windows 7 user experiences this in StarCraft. At random, it MAY start up with proper color.

8. pooma

pooma New Member

Krakow, Poland
    Also a simple fix: right click on your windows desktop and click "Screen Resolution". With this window open, colors should be fine :p Works for me on two win7 boxes, but I have another issue with sc hanging whole system occasionally.

9. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    pooma: That solution doesn't work 100% of the time and for 100% of people (Sure has heck didn't work for me, and I did try it.) . The bat file does.

10. pooma

pooma New Member

Krakow, Poland
  11. DarkCommander

DarkCommander New Member

Canada
    i had the same problem but it was caused by xfire lol. When i exit xfire it gets back to normal.

12. Atomic

Atomic New Member

West Bend, WI
    I remember Starcraft having some wierd color issues with Windows Vista. I had it working though a few times but now I just play SC2.

13. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    I have a solution to that problem:
    Go to http://sol.gfxile.net/ddhack/ and download the first item(ddhack10.zip) unzip and pase the 2 out of 3 items inside your starcraft folder{next to the .exe} The 2 items are "ddraw.dll" and "ddhack.cfg" No need to do it in compatibility mode or anything, it works right after installation.

Got that link as a reply to a mail I sent to blizz tech support via a webform so it should be clear of malware{well, the site also seems fine enough, though it's completely unofficial and it was not meant as a starcraft fix{it's a project by one guy to work for the wing commander games, but someone tried it with sc:bw and it works with it too out of coincidence.

Hmmm... Had pasted the actual blizz reply here with the link within saying among other things that "also be aware that this is an unofficial third party modification to Windows and may be unsupported" but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post blizzard mails on forums just like that(although I had edited the mine and the sender's names out). If it's not a problem to post it and you want me to for validation or something{though it's easily forgeable and I ain't sure how I can actually prove the actual adress is official}

14. Garrudae

Garrudae New Member

I have problem with Graphics.
    When I play a quick battle so everything is ok, but when I play campaign so I do not see in battle uniforms. Uniforms are white.
    Does not help either reinstall the game or disc format I recently formatted before it made also.

can someone of you help?

thanks