1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quanta

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Quanta, Sep 27, 2007.

Quanta

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Quanta, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Hello, incase it isn't obvious enough, I am Quanta. First thought running through your mind may be, WTF is a quanta.
    Well a quanta is a single packet of energy. As in, a quanta of light is a photon.

Now why on Earth would I have picked the name quanta? Simple, I'm a physics/mathematics major and I like things that have to do with physics.

I am 20 years old. I go school at Doane College, a libral arts college in a small town just south of Lincoln, Nebraska's state capital. This is my Junior year so at this point I'm well adapted to the college life style. You know, stuff like not going to bed until 2-3 am despite the fact that I have class at 9 am. At least that's a little better than last semester when I was going to bed at the same time but had class at 8.

I used to also be a German major but dropped that this year because there was no way I would be able to graduate in 4 years and spend the required 1 semestery in Germany. It is sad that I cannot find time to spend a semester abroad but the good news is my class load just got a lot lighter. Der Professor ist sehr schwer aber er ist auch serh gut. Wenn meine Gramatik doch nur so gut wurden. I hope that last sentence is correct otherwise I may be proving my point.

I play all kinds of video games PC games. I've palyed all kinds of FPS's from newer ones like FEAR and HL2 to old classics like System Shock 2 and the origial Doom and Quake games. I've played RPG's from open ended affairs like TES and Gothic to D&D style games like Neverwinter Nights to MMO's like WoW, and of course Diablo 1 and 2. I've played Turn Based Strategy games like Civilization 1, 3, and 4, obsure ones like Malkarie(best TBS ever), and partially hydridized ones like Total War. I've played RTS's like Starcraft and WC 2 and 3 as well as other's whose names I cannot remember simply because they were not as good. I've played racing games, sport games, adventure games(Every single Tomb Rader Ever Made, and puzzle games(like Myth). To put it bluntly, I have played a lot of PC games. I know I've left out dozens. I rarely play a game very long. Most games I beat once and am done. I played both Thief 2 and 3, great games. I beat them both once and was done. I litterally have boxes full of PC games.

Now excuse me while I finish reading the Illiad. I have a paper on it due tomorrow and I kinda need to get it done.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hello. What kind of physics? Particle? Theoretical?

What are your thoughts on Einstein-Rosen Bridges?

3. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Right now, I'm looking at getting into Theoretical physics. I'm not sure what area though, possibly high energy, possibly cosmology.

As for Einstein-Rosen bridges, I'm farily sure I've read that they would be impassible as you would hit the singularity if you tried to go through. There are other potentially possible ways to make a wormhole but I really haven't read anything or thought about wormholes in a long time. However, black holes would make very impracticle wormholes.

4. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Time travel into the future, piece of cake.  Time travel into the past, probably not possible.

If your speed was constant then yes, both observers would see that the other's time has slowed down.  If you were accellerating however this would not be true as accelleration is not relative.

5. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Welcome aboard, Quanta!

6. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    @markus

The guy on earth is older. Well, it's because if you're riding in a really fast rocketship, time slows down inside the ship, even the hands of the clock slows down.

7. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I have a headache now.

8. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Hi Quanta! i have seen you got great knowledge in the puzzle/riddle corner thread ^_^

9. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

both of them see the others clock run slower at some stage of the journey, not all the times. the guy on earth is older since his body hasn't experienced change in inertia

here's a really good flash that explain it well

http://faraday.physics.utoronto.ca/PVB/Harrison/SpecRel/Flash/TwinParadox.swf

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Great flash! Interesting! :powerup:

11. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

headache!

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yeah theoretical physics is not for the faint of heart.

13. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    LOL. I hope I won't take that up in the future.