1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

Question Thread for Joneagle_X

Discussion in 'Blizzcon 2009' started by MeisterX, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Hey guys,

Here's your chance to ask me questions about StarCraft 2 for BlizzCon 2009. I'll try to get to the questions as they come during the day and in big chunks just like I did last year.

I'm sure you guys can come up with good stuff. Also, if you post here early even if I don't know the answer I can always go find it!!!

2. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Make sure to ask the exact minimum requirements for SC2, I remember getting really unspecific ideas of last time.

3. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    How far along are the models (like percentage for total models being finished)?

As far as Blizzard is concerned they are working on touch-ups at this point and are no longer designing new units for the first release.

Why hasn't Starcraft2.com been updated in so long?

Lack of information to release and the web team is working on other projects.

Does the new movement system make it easier or harder to block a units path intentionally?

Depends on your intent. It's easier to block a ramp but a little harder to glitch it. However, it's also a lot easier to CATCH an enemy unit that you can outrun because your unit will go around it instead of getting stuck behind it.

Is balance or functionality the primary concern at this stage in development?

Big time. David Kim is constantly updating the specs of different units.

Thanks in advance for all the hard work you will do to keep us informed Jon!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  4. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

i know this might sound like a stupid question but will maps like fastes possible, BGH, micro clutter, and zero clutter be possible to make with the new map editor and published for the public to play on bnet?

Are you kidding? Yes.

will the maximum number of players that play in a single multiplayer game be increased from 8 to 16? (a rumor i heard but i dobt its true at all)

how many default maps will be available to play right out the box for the multiplayer?

thats all the questions i can come up with for now, sry if they sound stupid =p.

5. RHStag

RHStag New Member

speaking of requirements, I would like to know if the expansions will have the same system requirements as WoL. They probably will, but I would just like to see this confirmed.

6. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

In single player mode: I'm interested to know about hero units, will they be distinct from regular units model-wise and skill-wise? Can you give us any detail on these? Tnx!

In SP mode there are currently only "mercenaries" in the missions we've seen. And yes, they differ from normal units mostly in size, color, and decoration.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Check for minor details revolving the Zerg graphical touch-ups. As seen in a recent video the Zerg structure growing looks wicked. Check for other things like that, for all the races.

Check for the more weird things team colors seem to affect :p (Such as psi blades)

8. exe

exe New Member

will 2 adjecent buildings block so for example a zergling can squeeze itself through?

All buildings block better than they did in SC1. A Barracks backed up to a Supply Depot always blocks the Zergling whereas in SC1 that wasn't always the case.

9. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    • Do units in lava surge die instantly or lose hitpoints over time?
    Instantly.

• Can you make lava surge in melee maps?
    Might need UMS settings but it is possible whether in Melee play or not.

• To ground units, do air units and the colossus get hidden by sight blocking doodads like smoke and shrubs?
    Yes, you cannot see through the blockers at all. That includes air units. However, air units can see over the wall if they're inside it.

• Can air units spot ground units behind sight blocking doodads?
    See above.

• Will there be marine critters?

• Does salvage still return 100% of the building cost?
    Yes. But only certain buildings have it.

I'm pretty sure I have some more at the back of my head... I might post more later.

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    There's no way we're going to get exact minimum specs from Blizzard this early.

Melee multiplayer games are still at 8, but can have up to 4 observers. UMS multiplayer games can have up to 12.

No way this is going to get a numerical answer if asked.

It's like SC1- some do, some don't.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Thanks for getting to some of the answers Neon. I will sort the questions about this post tonight and edit the answers here.

Continue asking!

12. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    LAN Play

Hey Jon! Nice work so far! My question is:
    • Any news about the LAN play? Has Blizzard revealed what they have in mind about LAN?

LAN won't be included.

13. UnholyUrine

UnholyUrine New Member

Here's a question concerning about the Download times of maps...

As we all know, DL'ing maps through battle.net is substantially slower than through a website.
    This is especially true with UMS maps that contain custom wav files.

So basically, my questions are:

1. Will there be changes to the way maps are downloaded? Especially since new starcraft maps would probably have a lot more details, would the download speed be any faster?

2. In SC1, only wav files are accepted. This is bad considering some mappers have to convert their small MIDI files into big Wav files, thus causing the massive DL times for the maps.

3. How would custom music be integrated to the new editor? How will one trigger music output? In the old editor, you can only make the music play once, and to control the music, one must use extraneous programs and careful triggering to do music loops and such. Will there be any functions like "end current music" or "fade out current music" .. or "fade in another music" or "loop current music"?

4. I know I'm asking too much, but it'd be awesome if we can manipulate sounds through the new editor.. Simple things like Record/Cut/Crop/Import from SC sounds ... would be much appreciated :eek:.

Seems to me you should do some reading on the Battle.net panel.

Thnx
    ~Unholy

14. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Please make sure to ask what kind of system is required to run Starcraft 2 in "magnificent mode" or in other words what is needed to run SC2 with all highest settings.

We discussed this issue at length with the Art Director of SC2. He was telling us that if you have a high end WC3 computer you'll easily be able to run SC2 at medium settings. He also said there is "Excellent" and "Insane" settings that approach HD quality. For these he suggested the higher end models, things that can run games like Crysis, etc.

15. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I am confused about what Cloud Storage does. Do you think you could explain it in a bit more depth?

The Cloud system means that you have one account and it's tied to all your different games and settings. Right now your Cloud account is the account you've registered with Battle.net for the beta. If you go to a new computer and login to your Cloud your games will be available for download and when you do download it you will be able to continue your single player missions where you left off. Also settings like your mouse sensitivity, etc., will be remembered.

It is mentioned that you can only use one Battle.net account, but how does this work with your nickname? What if I get tired of a certain name, will I be able to change it? Obviously the stats won't change, but I hope I won't be locked into one name for the entire time.

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Seeing the new tech tree changes for protoss, did that cause a major pro or con on their gameplay?

I didn't notice any major changes to the tech tree...

17. cameronielsen

cameronielsen New Member

I'm sure you don't know this, but maybe you could find out:

Will all 22 map tilesets be available for use with Wings of Liberty, or will they save a couple for each expansion?

18. G0li4th

G0li4th New Member

I'd have a question... About the new battle.net.
    I remember in W3 an TFT that when a player wins enough matches with a race, he gets an avatar near his name(25/10/etc.. wins with that race). Will there be a feature like that? Will it be associated to his battle.net account or to his in game nickname? Will the player be able to choose among 2 or more pictures of the same rank? What other statistics will be dispalied when checking the player panel?

Read up on the Battle.net panel

19. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    When you purchase a custom map will you have to purchase each additional update, or will those be free?

20. MJepsen

MJepsen New Member