1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions to those who played the Protoss, Re: Immortals

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2007' started by Ryno, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Some questions to those who played the Protoss, Re: Immortals

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2007' started by Ryno, Aug 7, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I don't think anyone really knows the true use of the Immortals yet, even with some limited playing time.

I'm glad for your insight tym, makes me feel a little bit better.

Also, I'm pretty glad that they have such a short range because it does balance out their abilities a little better. They'll be good shock absorbers for rushing tanks. I am a little worried about the fact that they definitely don't fill the shoes of the Dragoons. Immortals had better be amazing to be "the more efficient way the Protoss have found of using their wounded heroes."

2. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yea, I'm actually liking the Immortals pretty good right about now. I like how their shields work and it forces the noobier players to step it up from using almighty units 'n such. But at the same time, I think you can have quite a bit of units that can topple the Immortal shield like zerglings, or even the Interceptors from the Carriers since each individually only did about 8 damage in the original SC.

I hope they can keep these units w/o them being too imbalanced.

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yes i'm liking them too now. they'd be a great counter for banelings... lol. each one only doing 10 damage!! that's like wasting all those banelings.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

I think the HP doesnt matter at all, since the damage is absorved my the 100 hp shield, not the unit itself. So 10 tank hits should take out the shield. 2 barrages from 5 tanks take out an immortal's shiled. not THAT tough if you take out the shield with emp or marines.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    No, it is good that it is only a truly effective counter for the tanks, but I'm still worried about it reducing all attacks above 10....

6. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    There is no problem with that damage reduction. The reason Marines are so effective agianst them is that, while they're only doign 7 or so damage per hit, they're firing at like 6x the rate of a siege tank, meaning they're still getting a lot of damage in. Then you have the fact that Marines are used en masse, with stim, with Medics, and you'll see that your Immortals are having a very, very bad day. When I used Immortals, I used them almost exclusively for absorbing tank hits. Forget actually attacking with them; they're really expensive units, so you can never make huge amounts of them, just keep a few at the head of your attack group to act as a meat shield for incoming blasts. As Tym said, Stalkers were much more useful in general combat.

I don't actually remember being able to target air with Immortals. In fact, I think I specifically remember being shocked that they couldn't. I may be mistaken, however.

7. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

Il stick to the goold old zealot drop.

8. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

it´s perfect as a meat shield, maybe they should give them some special ability, not a super attack because that surely would make them imba, but as some people (including 10-Neon and Tym29) that went to the blizzcon and used this units said, they just dont make up they high cost just for being meat shield, stalkers and lesser units are used more often because immortals are almost useless for attack

9. burkid

burkid New Member

their 'special ability' is their uber shields.

10. Tym29

Tym29 New Member

Well we were also limited to 20 minute games so there were limited Uber-wepons to activate the uber- shields of the immortals. Maybe later in the game they might be more useful with more big gun around. Maybe... People were building Motherships and Battle Cruisers but there were a lot of marines and zelots running about still. They should probably have an air attack if they are ever going to be used. Like a super dragoon. Blink makes the Stalker much better than the Immortal dispite the HP difference. The Immortal will need something more than its sometimes effective shield to even the playing field.

11. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i really hope that the immortal doesn't turn into the scout.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I don't see that happening. Its shields are way too useful for it to be pushed into an unused role, I just don't think its role will be more like the Ultralisk's(taking damage) than the Zergling's(dealing damage). For example, you would be absolutely insane to go after several Siege Tanks with any reasonable number of Stalkers. You wouldn't even be able to get within Blink range without taking lots of damage, perhaps losing a few units, but replace a few of them with Immortals (with hardened shields) and send them in first, and suddenly the battle's yours.

Also, it isn't just the "big guns" that you're being protected from, more middle-of-the-line weapons like Phase Cannons do (if I remember correctly) around 20 damage, meaning Immortals, with hardened shields taking the damage they take down to 10, receive only 50% of the pain that is meant for them. It makes them great for plunging into otherwise nasty clusters of Cannons without having to tech to the Colossus.

13. Ych

Ych New Member

Something I have been wondering for awhile.
    Is the Colossus effective against buildings or units with a lot of HP?

14. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

I dont think so. If that was the cse it would have been blasting the baneling while it ran away from them.

15. Tym29

Tym29 New Member

Just like units in Sc1 they can target and attack units while moving toward them but not while retreating form them.

16. DontHate

DontHate New Member

huh? what unit could do that? attack at the same time while moving.
    besides the carrier.

17. JBL

JBL New Member

He's refering to the ability of targeting and "charging" their attack while moving (chasing) and then stop for a second to "launch" the attack and then continue to walk...

think of marines or goons chasing an unit..

of course you can while retreating.. but you need to use the attack command.. which makes you stop to target and "charge" the attack because the units are coming at you...

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I definitely think it would be possible to micro even the collosus like people did the Dragoon in SC1. Walk a bit, hit hold, then walk for the cooldown period, fire, walk, fire, walk, fire. It was pretty insane to see people do that.

19. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic New Member

I heard in another thread by Tym that Immortals can in fact hit air.
    Is this true?

20. SD-Count

SD-Count New Member

@Joneagle
    It's not as practical because the colosus are much much slower, they are much much bigger, and their fire rate longer. The whole point of microing dragoons was to move and attack and lure, move attack lure, with colosus its more attack or run. If you run in mid attack, you may as well not have attacked and ran because of their slow pace. Of course it could work for terrain, but once again, it would be smarter to just lure with another unit and keep your colossus on high ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.