1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*SPOILERS* to those who beat sc2 campaign. WTF

Discussion in 'Wings of Liberty Campaign Discussion' started by fordinski, Aug 3, 2010.

*SPOILERS* to those who beat sc2 campaign. WTF

1. fordinski

fordinski New Member

once again there are major spoilers ahead,

so you get to see an apocalyptic future through zeratuls eyes. you watch how the dark voice uses his hybrids and the zerg to end the protoss and plunge the universe into chaos. so raynor says:

"well, the overmind created infested kerrigan so she can stop the end from coming. so i have to keep infested kerrigan alive. BAHH screw it, ive got better things to do like overthrow mengsk and turning kerrigan back into a normal human being and make her useless in stopping anything."

W.T.F.?

it seems the rest of the campaign contradicts everything you saw in the optional prophecy missions.

i think they should have made those missions integral to the overall story for wings of liberty and not just some side dish. the ending battle for the prophecy missions was probably the most epic mission in starcraft history, and it should have had a greater impact on the direction of the main storyline.

any other thoughts? dont get me wrong, the campaign was wicked and fun, but man somethings just dont make any sense.

Elaborate...

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I think the emphasis is on Kerrigan and not which form she's in or which race she belongs to. Although that goes against the Overmind specifically creating her for that purpose... or maybe it did that to ensure Zerg dominance after the world has been saved.

Also, moved your thread.

3. TheBigJ

TheBigJ New Member

The Overmind created the Queen of Blades to stop the Xel Naga baddy. However, consider the idea that being the Queen of Blades has nothing to do with being Zerg (or not). She might be human again, but I suspect we're going to find out that she retains that which makes her the Queen of Blades, that which will allow her to stop them.

I loved the way the campaign ended. It was a refreshing departure from Blizzard's terminal gloom and doom story endings.

I loved the original game, and I've waited ten years for Raynor to save his girl, and he finally did. It was a most satisfying conclusion to the campaign. I think the next campaign will be Kerrigan's quest to bring the swarm back under her control, but this time she'll use it to try to stop the end of the universe.

If she took a detour and killed Mengsk along the way that would be pretty awesome too.

If Blizzard goes back to their normal doom and gloom story telling though, then a pox on their houses forever >=\

4. TheBigJ

TheBigJ New Member

Or maybe he did that because she needed to be Zerged for a while to develop psionic talents she'd need later. It's not about her being Zerg or not. It's about her having the right skills to do the job.

5. Archangelclk

Archangelclk New Member

Was a bit short and not as epic as i thought it would be but none the less good, I think sarah will be a chosen type savior and her role will expand kind of like jean grey and the dark pheonix.

6. Galgus

Galgus New Member

I was thinking that something like that would happen- wasn't the point of the Overmind making the Queen of Blades to free the Zerg from the "kill the Protoss" order and thus allow the defeat of the Hybrid?

Perhaps Kerigan will be able to control the swarm still- and what other leader do they have at this point?

Didn't she kill all the Cerebrates and the new Overmind in Brood War?

7. Arous

Arous New Member

She did, so at this time noone else (at least as I can see it) can control the Swarm, she has to.
    In Wings of Liberty there was a development of Terran technologies, new units, new upgrades, etc. So, at Heart of the Swarm I expect the development of Kerrigan, new abilities, new creatures under her control, and full power at the end of campaign.
    What really pisses me off is the chance that she will betray Raynor again at the end, when she'll become full power zerg again :(

8. Galgus

Galgus New Member

I think the prophecy showed that the Fallen One/ whoever is behind the Hybrid would control the Zerg if Kerrigan died- but I bet you are right.

Perhaps when she controls the swarm again/ regains powers she will be able to do it without the Infestation influence on her mind.

(It seems to make some sense that the Zerg would still respond to her mind even when it is free of infestation, since lacking some new Terran way of controlling the zerg, a random new Cerebrate/ Overmind, or Hybrid/ Xel Naga intervention nothing else could control them.)

Anyway, I expect the Zerg to lose some ground with the loss of a possibly large amount of forces on Char and being possibly leaderless for awhile.

(Its about time. A lot of Starcraft has the Zerg strong enough to always gain territory and overrun planets.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. Arous

Arous New Member

Agree, Kerrigan must live to control the zerg - or the hybrids will do, ending up with the total destruction (last prophecy mission).
    The most common ending at this point looks like an alliance of all three races with Raynor - Kerrigan - Zeratul against all the evil like Mengsk, Dr. Narud, Hybrids, Zel-Naga, etc :)
    This ending is so common and so much on the surface, that I bet it will be more difficult in real, with internal conflicts between the Alliance and maybe some new Zel-Naga artifacts :) But the final ending looks like pretty much how I wrote before.

10. Galgus

Galgus New Member

Well there is a Protoss faction that follows the Hybrid, and what part of the Dominion that Mengsk holds onto (that news report must have hurt his control) may be tied to the Hybrid via the Secret Mission, and its entirely possible that the Hybrid will manage to control some amount of Zerg before order is reestablished in their ranks.

And on the other end Raynor's Raiders probably got stronger with the news report, Kerrigan is probably going to control some of the Zerg, and the main Protoss faction is definitely against the Hybrid.

Also, there is still potential for Valerion to do something in the storyline- perhaps he isn't evil and would be appalled by the news about Mengsk, or perhaps he is just like him.

11. Galgus

Galgus New Member

Double post, sorry.

12. Arous

Arous New Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Hybrids will start taking control over the Zerg, before Kerrigan will interrupt them, so Zerg vs Zerg conflict pretty much possible.
    Raynor took serious casualities on Char (as well as Valerian's fleet), so maybe his position will not be so strong at first. Btw, with Raynor's hands Mengsk solved the zerg invasion problem of Dominion, most Zerg returned to Char and were vanished by the artifact. Moreover, this journey brought Tychus to Kerrigan to let him kill her, which was Mengsk's order. So, from this point it looks like Valerian and Arcturus do the same thing. Raynor definetly wouldn't trust Arcturus, but he did trust Valerian and done all the job.

13. Arous

Arous New Member

double post

14. Galgus

Galgus New Member

Valerion is a bit of a wild card in the story, but the Dominion probably took even heavier lossed than Raynor by trying to use half their fleet in a frontal assault of Char.

(Remember how well that went?)

15. Arous

Arous New Member

Yep. In the final movie, after Raynor walks with Sara, camera shows the sky - there are lots of ships, and most of them burn and fall.
    So, zerg are weak - Kerrigan deinfested, big part of the swarm burned on Char.
    Protoss are weak since Brood War, Aiur destroyed, Shakuras nearly destroyed.
    Dominion is weak: big losses on Char and in Zerg invasion.
    Maybe it will be good time for Kerrigan to regain strength and power in second part, since most of the forces in universe are not ready yet for big fights :)

16. Galgus

Galgus New Member

The Protoss may have managed to rebuild some- I mean they do something besides always warping things in, in theory.

I bet the Protoss have had their own problems to deal with, though.

17. Siege Tank

Siege Tank New Member

Nah, it has only been four years. For a long lived (and likely slow breeding) race like the protoss, I doub't that has meant much change.

One thing I never understood about the campaign was why the hybrids wanted to kill everything. Am I drinking water from lead pipes here, or did we never get an explanation? Am I the only one kind of feeling they ripped of Mass Effect with the "Ancient race that will kill everything for a reason you are too stupid to understand, so we won't bother explaining. At all." ?

18. Galgus

Galgus New Member

Why are the protoss so dang advanced but so slow to rebuild?

The Terrans don't have that problem.

I guess the Sentry Drone and Immortals represent some attempts to rebuild on the Protoss's part.

19. Arous

Arous New Member

Of course the plot is not so strong and serious to be look like 100% true, but do we need it really? :) I think 4 years is the period long enough for Dominion and Protoss to rebuild, but short enough to keep Raynor still young enough (he is 34).

About the hybrids... There are not so many ways to unite former enemies, or to make everyone (not only Jim) want to save Kerrigan. Yes, it's like "ancient prophecy that doesn't need to be explained, take it as it is". Just like Zel-Naga artifact: we need to reunite Raynor and Kerrigan -> let's create some ancient, powerful, mysterious artifact which will do exactly what we want :)

20. nitroz

nitroz Guest

I think this is where Samir Duran enters the picture.