1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starcraft 2 flashback contradictions

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by Meyerm, Sep 15, 2011.

Starcraft 2 flashback contradictions

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by Meyerm, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

Mar Sara (kidding), Chicago
    Here's two cutscenes I was able to find in Wings of Liberty, both of which portraying flashbacks from the original starcraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1aHnq0gX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpQttpqnNgs

However, some aspects of these flashbacks contradict the original game, specifically the appearance of Terran and Zerg. In the Kerrigan flashback, Raynor is seen wearing SC2-era armor, when at that time different armor was used. The Zerg that are in that flahback also have the appearance of their SC2 versions, and I know Hydralisks don't look just like their SC2 versions in SC1.

In the cutscene with Tassadar, the zerg chrysalis looks nothing like it did in Starcraft 1. I think I also saw a baneling nest in the part showing the living Overmind with it's minions. These contradictions confuse me. Can anyone offer explainations?

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Different art direction.

:D

In universe, it could easily be explained as memories aren't perfect. Sure, armor may have looked different back then, but when the armor isn't the focus of the memory, the mind could easily just replace it, etc

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I think they're just visual retcons. The designers made (or at least thought they did, YMMV) better designs, so why not just stick them in there? Visual retcons are probably the most common retcons of all, and most of the time, the least grating.

4. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

So you're saying sc2-era marine armor, battlecruisers, and all that other stuff in canonically now around in SC1?

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Aromor, I'm not sure on but cruisers, almost definitely no, since Blizz specified Tartarus class back in the dev.

6. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

So Hyperion was upgraded to the current SC2 model then?

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Apparently.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

That, or something that closely resembles it.

9. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Raynor is actually wearing his old suit from his Guild Wars days. It looks news due to the art direction.

Same with zerg (think of this like Star Trek Klingons; the new ones have a bigger budget and look better, although Trek came up with a vaguely plausible explanation for this).

The chrysalis ... new art direction.

There should not have been a baneling. That doesn't just contradict StarCraft I, but the short story about the baneling too.

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Trek took 40 years to come up with that explanation. So, we might hear an explanation by the time I'm 57.

11. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

So would you say that one mod that has the SC1 campaign with SC2 engine is fairly accurate then?

12. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Not when it comes to terran technology, I'd say. That seems to evolve quickly. The new siege tank and battlecruiser are explicitly different models than their SCI counterparts.

But it works for the others, I think. Although the dark templar seem a little more innovative.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I think the Dark Templar was explained as different tribes (if you're referring to the scythe style ones). If you're talking about the starfleets and buildings, I think it's more like they were hiding their full power from the Auir Protoss, as well as combining both High and Dark techs.

14. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Yes, but it wouldn't make sense not to have all your tribes fighting and use all your tech when the entire world was in such danger from the zerg.

(Of course, the real answer is "Blizzard hadn't invented the other tribes yet.")

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

And, the DT never really did anything in the original starcraft, with the exception of Zeratul's cadre. DT society as a whole only learned about the zerg in brood war, and nearly all missions on Shakuras took place near new HT colonies.

16. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The second last and last missions of episode IV would logically have had as much dark templar tech as possible. To be fair, the cinematics didn't need to show this.

17. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

While we're still sort of on topic, has anyone made 3-d models of what the starcraft 1 style chrysalis looks like, or any fanart/concept art? The design always intrigued me, and it almost looks like a maggot-shaped cocoon on top of a hard-carpaced "platform" with a sort of opening at the bottom, and flailing tentacles behind.

18. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I thought it resembled a man-eating plant with the jaws torched shut.

19. PRUSSIA

PRUSSIA New Member

Tarsonis
    The Hyperion design is anachronistic, along with banelings for zerg at the overmind, stalkers and voidrays for the Tal'darim (both of which are dark templar tec although apparently they hate them), as well as the Dominion having supposedly outdated, backwater vulture bikes on their home planet. It was disappointing of Blizzard to treat their own lore with such callousness, although to me it's not that big of a deal.