1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

1. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

At first I didn't like the idea, but Blizzard has me convinced. I think it is a great idea, so long as each installment costs less than a full game. ;)

2. What do you think the price of a full game is? Don't you think StarCraft 2 is worth any price as long as the game gets proportionally more content? (i.e. you get three times more "game" for three times the price)

That being said.. The tentative price for each one is $59.99

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    that has not been comfirmed by blizzard.

4. Charmed

Charmed New Member

Guys,

This trilogy thing might be cool and unique but I would like to still play them as campaigns. Its becoz I believe this idea is likely to burn my pocket.

Most of u all I believe are from US. 50 dollar for u might be nothing. But I am from a country that has a very poor exchange rate. US dollar is at least 3 times my money!!! So imagine how much money I have to fork out. The purchasing power in my country isn't good either.

So I hope Blizzard can somehow reduce the cost of the Zerg n Protoss campaigns once I purchase the Terran campaign..

5. Just wait until it's released in one box for a smaller price :)

6. Hence, the word tentative. It hasn't been confirmed but they have said that's about what they want to sell it at.

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    did they? last time i checked they were saying "no comment" on the prices.

8. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    yes but i didn't think they said anything about $60, as in they didn't say it tentatively, they didn't even mention it.

9. Charmed

Charmed New Member

Tychus, I dun think I would have the patience to wait for all 3 to be released so that I can purchase them in a relatively cheaper price.

I would definetely miss the campaigns. I hope ur guys can do some ranting so that we can get back our campaigns and hence save our money..

Anyway plz keep update abt this. Blizzard is really slaughtering ppl for money now even though this idea might be better and the campaigns are much bigger. Thx.

10. SmoothBore

SmoothBore New Member

Honestly, I wouldn't mind waiting a year, or however long, so that they can complete the entire game. If this is supposed to be a masterpiece, then I have patience for it. If people are already saying the'yll wait four months until their favourite race is out, why not a little longer? I don't like the fact that a) its making people pay 3 times. I can understand the conception of them being 'expansions', but expansions have the stigma of being cash grabs as well, + the original is going to be underdeveloped in some areas, and overdeveloped in others. Starcraft 1 was a complete game. B) There's going to be obvious problems with the first one, and temptations to fix it for the second and third releases. Where does Blizzard's responsibility lay? Fairness or in developing their product?

Maybe they could split it into two releases. The first being a cheaper, no missions, only multiplayer or custom games version. From this they could test for balance and performance and make a second release with all the campaigns + new units and better balance. Instead of playing the campaigns for multiplayer prowess, you play multiplayer in hype for the campaigns. (They're probably going to make them very difficult.)

In any case, all this just means that the campaigns are going to be UNREAL. But I still rather wait until they put into one package.

11. Arsid

Arsid Guest

I'm fine with the storyline and campaign being split into 3 diff. games.

As long as each one allows you to play as all 3 races for custom games and on bnet.

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I still doubt I will buy all three. I bought SC for the multiplayer mode, not the single player campaign. I'd only do the campaign to see the cinematics, which I will likely be able to find on youtube while saving $100. :)

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    So then what's the problem with just buying the first one with the Terran campaigns?

Besides, new content will also be released with the Zerg and Protoss campaigns. It's just like a couple of expansions only the racial campaigns will be spread out.

14. Why is it that when Blizzard releases one expansion .. People don't complain and buy both, but when two expansion packs are announced the fan base gets at arms about how Blizzard is charging three times the amount (Even though it's just one more expansion back.. If anything it's $40-$60 .. not three times)

Can someone answer this please?

If they put all of this in one package, it would be vastly inferior to them "boxing them up" into three products.

15. JStryka

JStryka New Member

Don't grab your Canister Rifle yet.

The SC2Trilogy was announced, and Blizzard gave a brief outline of it, but they didn't say the whole thing yet. They want to see how we react, since a majority of the fans at Blizzcon cheered when the Trilogy was announced.

You have to go over the very few things we know so far:

-Three Super Standalones and/or Expansions of SC2.

-All races will be available for play in Multiplayer and Skirmish in the first pack, including the Map Editor.

-The story is more than just "Another View"- it's most likely a more linear story with the ultimatum at the very last pack.

-New Units, Editor options, and more maps are likely in the new packs.

-Liberty is most likely from 40-60 dollars, but Swarm and Void are also likely to be just 20-30 dollars. It's not going to be "$150" that Blizzard is charging you.

Another thing: If you wanted Blizzard to release all three at the same time, you would most likely have to wait till 2010+. Blizzard is trying to get the game to you earlier without loss of experience.

If you wanna wait till 2010+ for a full game, be my guest.
    I'll be playing Wings of Liberty, a fleshed out experience that would let me play all three races in B.net 2.0 and Skirmish already, with knowledge that better gameplay is on the way.

So put those Siege Tank shells away and start listening for more news.
    If anything can prove me wrong, do so, and I'll see if I can edit it in any way.

16. Each package has a story that ends the same. They mid-game, however, is VASTLY different .. based on YOUR decisions. The camaign will be much more epic than anything we've seen in an RTS so far... and, in order to do this, Blizzard needs to sell it as three games. I say THANK YOU BLIZZARD!

17. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I've pointed out in another thread that the learning curve for the other two races won't be as fun and "unnoticable". And I don't know why you keep on comparing BW with the SC2 expansions when they're so different.

BW introduces a new plot and presents it by having the 3 racial campaigns flow into one another.
    SC2 expansions don't introduce a new plot and only follow it with one race.

Note also that the trilogy will divide the community into 3 groups, though not of equal sizes.

18. Have you read about the minicampaigns?

I already told you it's semantics. The differences don't matter. The definition of an expansion pack is NOT ONLY what we (Blizzard gamers) are used to. I don't see you going around yelling "THE DAWN OF WAR EXPANSIONS ARE FULL GAMES!!! WHY DO YOU CALL THEM EXPANSIONS!! THEY AREN'T EXPANSIONS!!!"

It doesn't matter what you call them. They're all basically the same.

So what if the tilogy divides the community in three? They'll all eventually get it! Who plays the original StarCraft online and has Brood War but CHOSES not to use it? How many people play the game online with StarCraft but don't want to get Brood War.. or don't even have it? HOW IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT BROOD WARS DID? Why don't you say these things about the other "expansion packs" (Also, note, I usually put expansions packs in quotations.. I'm sure you know what that means.) that do EXACTLY what Blizzard is doing?

No matter what you call them, they are the same. Please quit saying things that are so trivial.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Do you think all of this will affect the sales of the game?