1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

StarCraft 2 Is Now A Trilogy

Discussion in 'BlizzCon 2008' started by TychusFindlay, Oct 10, 2008.

1. They haven't said. Although, since the decision to make StarCraft 2 a trilogy was finalized by that time I would say that they were one-third done with one-third of it all (All three products)

Unless they were just lying to us due to this whole trilogy thing not being announced... which is possible :D

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    No.

I will be posting new screenshots including ones with the new Nighthawk shortly on the front page.

No dates yet.

3. Daseti

Daseti Guest

"Each campaign is treated as a fully fleshed out game"

Sounds like blizz is gonna charge the standard price for all 3
    Thats $80-$100 per games for us poor aussies :(

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
  5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
  6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If only there was a kuvasz character, haha.

I really don't mind the split. Just think of it this way... The campaigns are so epic that they need to be split into three parts, each part being the equivalent size of all the races' campaigns from the original StarCraft, in order for them to work. Regardless of whether you hate Terran, love Protoss, or can't play Zerg to save your balls, you can't say that that's not one hell of an epic campaign coming up.

The only really trivial thing in my opinion is the cost and time of release. Firstly, for those who are completely uninterested in the Terran campaigns, I feel they should come out with a slightly cheaper version that doesn't include them. This will allow those people who don't want to get the Terran campaign to both save a bit of money, and still be able to play the game until the trilogy is sold all in one, which will again save them money. I'd also appreciate the second and third parts not to be sold as a full priced game. A full priced game is about a hundred dollars over here, and seeing as the vast majority of those sales will be for the campaigns and not the game as a whole, as most people will have both those already.

7. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    can they at least give us multiplayer for now?? hahaha

8. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    It's just as Pardo said.. 1 game just wouldnt be enough in terms of customization and experience for the single player.
    Although this might raise up our fee, it will greatly increse single player replay, for those who arent THAT into bnet or any multiplayer experience whatsoever.
    Plus, It'll keep blizzard's main focus on Sc2 and not in WoW or any other ****ty game for a couple of years, including development for both the game and bnet.
    Although they said each game will be a separate installment, I understand wach game will add units to the game, and we have yet to see how are they gonna figure that out on bnet.
    Anyways, I like the idea

9. Funkymonkey88

Funkymonkey88 New Member

This idea seems like it has potenial but i am not going to spend 150 dollars on all three of the Story's because i feel that it is not that worth it, seeing how money is hard to come by for me.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Were you willing to spend an additional fifty bucks to buy BroodWar? If another StarCraft1 expansion had come out later would you have been willing to buy it for another fifty or so?

The Zerg and Protoss components of the trilogy are expansions. That means new content for the other races and a continuation of the storyline through the campaigns. The only different is that the continuation of the storyline will be done race by race, and not in groups of all races.

11. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Hmm. This is quite a good decision. If all mission of all three races would be released on one disk, we probably would get a lot less singleplayer content. I heard nobody complain about having to buy the Brood Wars expansion when they realized the story wasn't nearly complete at the end of the original game.

To add something to the price discussion: they already have all of the content on the (original full, non-expansion, real) StarCraft 2: Terran disk. The only stuff that comes with the expansions are some new maps with some triggers in it, because that's basically what a mission is. It's no more then a standard skirmish with extra triggers and some story related things. Why would we have to pay the full price again for the standard content? I believe the expansions will be much cheaper.

That the World of Warcraft, Warcraft and the old StarCraft expansions had the full price on them doesn't say anything about the price of these expansions. You get a lot of new content and gameplay with those expansions, the SC2 expansion will only give you a new perspective on the storyline. It would be a total rip-off to let people pay the full price for this stuff. And if they wan't to add new units, they can just release them with the next patch, not let us pay lots of money for it. Especially since they already get enough money from advertisements on battle.net when people play the multiplayer.

p.s.
    @kuvasz
    rofl, have you made that?

12. the8thark

the8thark New Member

One box doesn't necessarily mean one disc. There could be 2 or 3 dvds in the box.

ie Diablo 2 before the DVD became popular. 3 CDs.

13. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    Oh DARN!!!!!!
    I was going to post this but thcyus got to it first :( ...
    hmm it would be better but 1 box=3 CDs

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Read the first 2 sites and it looked like no one figured how it works.
    I researched a bit today and this is how it works (sorry if it has been posted before):
    -The "game" getting released first is the game with the Terran mission. You will only be able to play the Terran missions, but all races are playable in the multiplayer (battle.net/lan/custom game). Its like Starcraft 1, just only with the Terran missions.
    -The next "game" getting released is the game with the Zerg missions. It works like an expansion with new missions (only zerg missions ofc.), new units for all races etc.
    -The last "game" getting released is the game with the Protoss missions. Its also working like an expansion.

Each one is gonna have 25-30 missions. I think the missions are working like in SC and SC:BW, so its gonna be VII; IIX and IX

Normally the game prizes are around this where im from:
    60 Dollars for a game and 40 for an expansion. So starcraft broodwar as a new game would cost 100 dollars and Starcraft 2 140. In starcraft + bw you got around 55 missions or so, but here you get 80-85! And probably more new units then in sc + bw, because its 2 expansions :)

I would have nothing against paying 40 more dollars to get all these things!
    I dont think Blizzard are milking on the game :)

Hope somebody read this post with interest, im probably not gonna reply. I miss all you old school guys (kuvasz, darkone, IHG the space junk mod which name I forgot, the mods, you name it), I just dont have the time!

15. That's still more content that has to be made for a fraction of what it is really worth.

Why not just release ALL games and their prequels , sequels, expansions in one box .. no matter how many discs it takes?

[/SARCASM]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Who ever said it would have to be sold for a fraction of what it's worth? And Diablo2 is a great example. Three CD's in the one box.

17. Three games in one = 1/3 of the overall price.

18. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    and 1/3 of the overall enjoyability
    or less
    probably less

let's not forget about *3 release time

19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I totally agree with you.
    I was just pointing out the 1 box can be more than one disc because people kept saying box equals 1 disc. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the Terran box had 2 DVDS in it. One for the game and one for all the movies in the game.

20. No.