1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCraft: Brood War is Dead

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by MeisterX, Mar 2, 2010.

StarCraft: Brood War is Dead

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by MeisterX, Mar 2, 2010.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [​IMG]

I know I'm going to take a lot of flogging for this, but someone's got to say it and say it early. Someone has to tell the troops that the Commander has died. Just don't shoot the messenger, okay?

StarCraft: Brood War is dead. It was pronounced DOA on February 17th, 2010.

I know this might come as quite a shock. We all expected it to live a full, happy life (is 12 years a full, happy life for an antique video game?). Maybe a few of you want to wear black. Maybe some people need to shut the door and just have a good cry.

But the fact of the matter remains. StarCraft: Brood War died of natural causes. Even if the death certificate might not be issued for a few months, the truth is still there. It had a good run, and it certainly brought us a lot of joy, but everything has to die sometime, right?

Oh, I know what you're saying. "But I still love SCBW! I'm going to play it just as much as I play SC2!" Well, that's where you're wrong. SCBW didn't go to a farm upstate, and it's certainly not traveling the world. It's in the backyard, six feet under; where your parents put it when it started to smell.

TeamLiquid wrote an article this week entitled [SC2B] Moving On. Of course, their article is an opinion, and they're entitled to it. As am I. The article talks about how StarCraft 2 will never live up to the legacy of StarCraft: Brood War. How it will never provide us the same quirks because it doesn't have the same "stupid" feel to it. There's a long-winded analogy about a football kicker and the fact that a repetitive task taking ages to accomplish is somehow extraordinary. Who's to say that moving on to a new, more exciting task that is difficult to accomplish in itself isn't exordinary? Why do we have to keep kicking balls around (well?) when we could be kicking missiles (I don't think I would recommend this sport)?

I've sort-of feared this day and hoped it would never come. When the older community and original StarCraft fans who have traditionally followed the micro came home one day and realized the beta was out and the sequel was upon us. I think we've all been waiting ten years for that, but some were in denial. I really started dreading it during my interview with iNcontrol when he told me that StarCraft 2 would bomb and he'd continue playing StarCraft: Brood War. It was a hell of an eye-opener.

[​IMG]

All I can say in response to those comments, to the comments of those who look on StarCraft 2 skeptically and say "maybe I'll stick with the original" is that this game is what you've been staring at your monitor searching for since 1998. The sequel to StarCraft. Despite all the comments about Dustin Browder's ability coming from a Commmand & Conquer background, despite all the haranguing about WarCraft In Space and through all the BlizzCon discussions (and the TeamLiquid fiery hellbath that was my insistence that the Queen's Larvae ability was not overpowered...), I've been warning you. I've talked about how Zerg needs more mechanics (and still does), and I've soothed you over the loss of certain SCBW units. But I've dropped hints here and there, right?

Don't tell me you were truly caught unawares. The sheer brilliance of Warp-In must have had some impact. Massive units that can be attacked by air-attack only units as well as ground units. The sheer brilliance of a counter like that. Cliff walkers? Holy cripes. The signs have been there if you were looking. Maybe you didn't notice SCBW starting to look a little pale and sluggish? If the Battle Reports didn't clue you in, then you're just a lost cause.

Whatever the case, it's clear that the King has fallen. There's a new kid in town, and he's a fast shooter. So go buy some lillies and maybe go grab those tissues out of the bathroom, because one era has ended and another has begun.

R.I.P. StarCraft: Brood War
    November 30,1998- February 17, 2010 ​

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I'm not accepting this until the requal is fully released and patched for about half a year. If it's then better on all points, then, and only then, I will declare Brood War dead.

HOWEVER: that doesn't mean I won't be playing with it's corpse every once in a while. (such a sick bastard, i am :p)

3. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

Couldn't agree more (in terms of context; not literal meaning :D). I'll still be playing StarCraft: Brood War because of the differences and for nostalgia sake but, clearly, StarCraft 2 is on its way towards taking down the king. Give it some time to get patched up and those expansions to come out we'll have a succession akin to WarCraft 2 > StarCraft.

Thank you, Blizzard!

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Good game, sweet prince. Know that whenever I require more Vespene Gas, or must construct additional Pylons, you shall be in my thoughts.

I love you Sarge SC:BW, and I always will.

5. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    RIP, Brood War. Game over.

6. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    :'(

and so millions of blizzard fans flock to the Blizzard Campus in anahiem california where the public burial of the last Starcraft: Broodwar CD ever made is to take its place among the best.

Nah, they'll always make more.

7. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    But what if you want LAN parties? What if your internet goes down? What will you be playing then? ;)

8. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Firstly this article is purely opinion and not really a hard news article at all and should not be on the front page with the other news article. Secondly you can still play SC:BW in Battle.Net and single player if you so wish. And thirdly yes with most games, a sequel will enavetably come. It does not kill a game. The first game is still there, it's just not played as much anymore.

I see the fact that it is time to move on from BW to SC2. And now is a good a time as any to make the switch. Heck we've all lived in the BW bubble for a very long time. And change is always good. And I think SC2 is a good thing to move up to. A very good sleek looking game. One most of us can't wait to puchase from the store.

But the fact this is posted on the SC2-Forums front page is frankly appalling. I am disgusted. Has this fine internet site run by a bunch of fine people lowered their standards to accept a yarn about a few people's opinions as hard news. If this is true then it's a sad day indeed for the SC2-Forums. This is a line. A line I really hope the fine SC2-Forums do not cross.

I so agree this is nice information that should be somewhere on the forums for it's members to discuss. Not on the front page. People new to the site will not see a professional site about SC2 with all their facts straight. No, people will see this on the front page and go "oh no this is just another fanboy page (fancy one mind you), written by people who think SC2 is their new Religion with the CEO of Blizzard as it's god.

I liked the days when this internet site was really professional. And everything SC2 was there for the public to see. I really think this site is the best SC2 informational and discussion site out there. Please don't go and ruin the good reputation this site has.

9. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    I somewhat agree. The article reads too much like it's telling the readers what to buy/play, and not play any longer.

This disappointingly fits the definition of propaganda: The writer is using the forum's news outlet to actively promote their own interests and opinions - rather than keeping that service impartial and informative.

10. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    I was terified when I read your post, I tought it was serious!
    because I have lost my cdkey and when/if I have to reinstall BW, I might have to buy a new one.
    and no, for me bw isn't dead just yet, It will never be, some years from now I'll zombiefy it and play for the nostalgic feeling.

untill then, R.I.P. Starcraft: Brood War

11. Alex

Alex New Member

I can't say that I fully agree.
    It's not dead yet, there will be still a lot of people playing it at least this year, probably later too.
    But you have a good point. StarCraft II is indeeed worthy to take most of the original's place,
    and soon people will probably realize it and leave it. But I wouldn't declare it dead so quickly. :)

12. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Heh while I agree with Jasmin and ark (sorry, ladies first) I do think some people take this article more seriously than it was meant to be taken. Now obviously a reputable news site would never do such a thing, but the daily visitors is nowhere near as what such sites have. Besides, this site is supposed to cater for a casual community based around a game. And if anyone is swayed by this article then they had already made up their minds about SCBW, before reading this.

I thought it was entertaining, especially because it's so full of Jon's retort to TL :D

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I won't call it dead until i replayed the full campaign.

14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Hello I'm back ! :)

So, if I understand well, Starcraft 2 will not follow the storyline of Brood War ? Why ?

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Kuvasz,

Nailed it on the head.

16. wintergt

wintergt Guest

Good article, someone had to say it.

17. DeckardLee

DeckardLee Guest

@jasmine: If your internet goes down, you can still play LAN ... if you know what I mean :D

@the8thark: I see what you mean and that's why I said I agree with the "context". Still, I think it's a nice counter to the TL.net QQ I've been reading (which I believe this is a counter too). Quite refreshing actually :D

-- Nevermind. Joneagle already said it was a couner to TL.net. GO JONEAGLE!!! So glad someone said it. I can imagine the Blizzard employees get the impression that 95% of their fanbase hates StarCraft 2.

18. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    see thats impossible as Starcraft 2 is amazing :p

19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

To DeckardLee:

Agreed totally with what you said. At least there is less QQ here then on the battle.net forums. Heck so much QQ there is boggles the mind. And this post (on the front page) is a refreshing QQ on things. I thought it was a nice read for a change. But in the end it's just QQ to prove a point against other QQ they quoted.

And I agree with you good he said what he did. But said totally in the wrong place.

20. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

And here Kerri Claus gives away dead gifts?

Ontopic:
    When Koreans stop to play Broodwars at prolevel, THEN it's dead =)
    Somehow I still believe it will be like Counter Strike vs Counter Strike Source.