1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terran Units - In A Nutshell

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DevilsGate, Mar 24, 2008.

Terran Units - In A Nutshell

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DevilsGate, Mar 24, 2008.

1. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm sick of going around to different sections of the forum trying to peice together all the information. So starting with the Terran I'm going to begin compiling all info into one big post, what follows is all in my own words, pictures taken from the SC2 website and from various leaked screenshots. Enjoy and please comment!

Before you begin, I'd like to remind you that everything below is subject to change. Blizzard is doing a lot of work and units are coming and going monthly. Nothing here is concrete. With that out of the way, read on!

Protoss Units - In A Nutshell http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5244
    Zerg Units - In A Nutshell http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?p=172716#post172716

SCV

Built from: Command Centre
    Armament: Fusion Cutter
    Role: Base Construction/Resource Gathering

The SCV is the Terrans most important unit. Without it Terrans would be unable to construct their bases, or mine resources necessary to fuel their war machine. SCVs must be present during construction, and can defend themselves with their weak Fusion Cutters.

Marine

Built from: Barracks
    Armament: 8mm C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle
    Role: General-purpose infantry

The Marine is the backbone of the Terran infantry. Sporting a large rifle and heavy plated armour, the Marine is capable of a wide variety of tasks on the battlefield. Marines can be fitted with Shields, Bayonets and U-238 ammunition; making them even more formidable in combat. Marines also have the "Stimpack" ability, which increases their rate of fire at the cost of their health.

Marauder
    [img width=82 height=85]http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/3/25/f_Marauderm_e5bd6ac.png[/img]
    Armament: Concussive Grenades
    Role: Suppressing Fire

The Marauder is a modification to the Marine design. Showcasing heavier armour and arm-mounted grenade launchers this unit excels at keeping the enemy at bay. The grenades slow the enemy momentarily, allowing for other units to attack without consequence. A number of Marauders can effectively bring an advancing army to a stand still.

Reaper
    [img width=149 height=110]http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/4/3/25/t_Reaperm_b853a6b.png[/img]
    Armament: P-45 Scythe Gauss Pistols, D-8 Charges
    Role: Raider

The Reaper is an invaluable addition to the Terran infantry. Their jetpacks allow them to negate rough terrain easily, making them perfect for raids. In addition to their two fast-firing pistols, the Reaper also has the ability to deploy D-8 charges anywhere on the battlefield. These charges explode after a short time, making them devasting for attacking stationary targets.

Ghost
    [img width=149 height=109]http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/4/3/24/t_Ghostm_f12800a.png[/img]
    Armament: 25mm C-10 Canister Rifle
    Role: Stealth Sniper

The Ghost acts primarily as a supporting unit for other heavier infantry, and has many abilities with which do to this. Primarily, the Ghost has the "Cloak" ability, capable of rendering himself invisible to all but detectors. Used in conjunction with the "Sniper" ability, (an attack that can highly damage most unarmoured units) the Ghost can provide effective support for its allies. The Ghost can direct devasting Tactical Nukes to nearby enemy positions as well as fire electromagnetic pulses capable of depleting the energy and shields of anything in its blast radius. They can also sense nearby units with energy, making effective spotters.

Medivac Dropship

Built from: Starport
    Armament: None
    Role: Support/Transport

These dropships provide essential support to Terran infantry. Capable of healing damaged troops as well as transporting them across large areas of terrain, they undoubtedly play an important part in infantry manoeuvres across the battlefront.

Viking
    [img width=150 height=110]http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/3/24/t_VikingGm_110c5fc.png[/img][img width=150 height=113]http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/3/24/t_VikingAm_98b9f4c.png[/img]
    Armament: Twin Gatling Cannon, MT50 Lanzer Torpedoes
    Role: Air Combat/Ground Support

Vikings are the cornerstone of Terran engineering. Capable of 'transforming' between an assault walker and a air-superiority fighter. The Viking is without a doubt the Terrans most versatile unit. The Viking is easily able to dodge fire from dedicated ground or air attacks, making it an effective base raider. However it cannot take concentrated fire, and is best suited to weaving in and out of attack.

Seige Tank
    [img width=150 height=108]http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/4/3/24/t_SeigeTank1m_e545d50.png[/img][img width=150 height=107]http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/4/3/24/t_SeigeTank2m_deb64cf.png[/img]
    Built from: Factory
    Armament: Twin 90mm Cannons, 120mm Shock Cannon
    Role: Armoured Support/Mobile Artillery

The Crucio Seige Tank has vastly improved from its original, the Arclite. The tank can easily support itself and others in mobile form, but really shines when deployed into "Seige Mode". This ability effectively turns it into a stationary artillery platform, capable of bombarding units with heavy fire from an incredible distance away. The Seige Tank is most effective when being supported by other units.

Jackal
    [img width=99 height=102]http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/3/24/f_Jackalm_4b7b273.png[/img]
    Armament: Mounted Napalm Turrent
    Role: Harasser

This fast moving bike is deadly when deployed against infantry, capable of chasing down and igniting large groups of them. The Jackal cannot withstand heavy fire however, and should not attack heavily armoured units without support.

Thor
    [img width=149 height=110]http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/24/t_Thorm_b668708.png[/img]
    Armament: Particle Accelerators, 250mm Bombardment Cannon
    Role: Anti-Air

The bulky Thor is an advancement to the original Goliaths. Its two Particle Accelerators can provide light support against ground units, and the huge bombardment cannons on its back are capable of destroying aircraft in a large radius. They make both excellent mobile defence and perfect supporting units during an assault.

Banshee
    [img width=150 height=108]http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/4/3/24/t_Bansheem_f4909d7.png[/img]
    Armament: Backlash Cluster Rockets
    Role: Tactical Strike Aircraft

The AH/G-24 Banshee is the Terrans long-awaited bomber. This mobile aircraft fires volleys of rockets capable of heavily damaging enemy ground units, and also boasts a cloaking ability to keep it out of enemy aircraft fire. However these light-weight bombers lack any air-to-air weaponry making them suspectible to enemy aircraft fire.

Vulkan
    [img width=150 height=105]http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/4/3/24/t_Nomadm_0949a0c.png[/img]
    Armament: None
    Role: Battlefield Support/Construction

The TF-620 Vulkan is a robust construction and repair platform used widely across the frontlines. These platforms can move around to where repairs are needed, removing the need for SCVs to travel large distances for simple repairs. Nomads are also capable of deploying Auto Turrents and Spider Mines virtually anywhere on the battlefield. Auto Turrents can be used for minor support or for disrupting enemy movements, and Spider Mines can inflict heavy losses on unwary enemies.

Battlecruiser
    [img width=150 height=109]http://img31.picoodle.com/img/img31/4/3/24/t_Battlecruism_a5529ec.png[/img]
    Armament: Laser Batteries, Yamato Cannon, Plasma Torpedoes
    Role: Capital Ship

The Battlecruiser is a prime example of Terran military genius at its best. The many laser batteries situated across the Battlecruiser provide firepower from all angles and for all types of enemies. Additionally Battlecruisers can be outfitted with either the Yamato Cannon or Missle Barrage. The Yamato Cannon works by projecting focused nuclear energy into a coherent beam, inflicting devasting damage to single targets. Where as the Missile Barrage can annihilate airborne foes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Good idea, but will you be keeping up with the info? I could help you with the Zerg part if it should be (with info etc.)!
    Will you add dmg hp etc. or?

3. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

Well I figured I'd go with just a general description mate, considering stuff like health, damage, etc. is near certaintly going to be changed over and over again.

I will try and update it only when its something significant, and thanks but no thanks with the Zerg, I prefer doing my work solo :p

4. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Thanks for the time invested, though nothing new unfortunetly. If I didnt suspect that you do this just to get fame and honor I would have poqwer you up! :)

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    OK so this is just a describtion of the units or?
    But still nice, the only thing that is hard is to keep updating them. We had a few of these, and they all ended locked...

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

7. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

ummm mine is much more detailed then that.

8. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Devil has a point there, he included pictures xD

9. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

+ more detailed descriptions!

10. Light

Light Guest

But the Thor description is way outdated.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    A couple of corrections. You might be right, but the last I heard a couple of things were different. Don't hesitate to correct my corrections if I'm wrong.
    First...
    Stim Packs have recently been removed from Reapers. I guess they were too fast to begin with or somethnig.
    Second...
    I think this got removed for EMP. The Terran don't have a way of call down units now.
    Third...
    The Banshee can't attack many units at once now, it's got a single target attack.

12. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

Ok thanks for the updates, they're a great help!

Also umm Thors well I heard they had some sort of air attack now like a flak cannon but apart from that I don't know that much, anyone care to fill me in?

13. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it isn't built by SCV anymore

14. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    yeah...i could be wrong too...but i heard its built in the factory and walks as fast as a unsieged tank.
    its air is a AOE and it pwns air units.
    its ground is weak and simple.

15. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

Ok well I think I've got everything updated... for now. Damn no more call downs that kinda blows. Guess it was a bit too similar to Protoss mechanic warp in?

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You'd think so, but Nydus Wyrms were also similar. I was hoping that each race would get a way to transport, cliff jump and basically teleport, but it seems as though that's definitely not the case any more.

17. DevilsGate

DevilsGate New Member

Well yeh they would want each race to be as different as possible.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They races are still able to be completely different if each team had a teleport, transport and cliff jumper. Warp In, Drop Pod and the Nydus Wyrm, despite all basically teleporting your units to a selected location of the map, provided that the Protoss player has a Phase Prism there, the Terran player has a Ghost there and the Zerg player has vision there, are still all different. Protoss units that are Warping do it one at a time and are vulnerable to attacks while still Warping. Terran units arrive in groups, all being able to attack at once without much downtime. The Zerg units all pour through the Nydus Wyrm which is completely different to the other two as it is a building/unit rather than an ability. Zerg units will constantly be able to scream back and forth through the Wyrm for as long as they want until it's destroyed or chosen to be relocated.
    As for cliff jumping, again, they all have different methods of doing so. The Reapers and Colossus both use a similar method, but they're still completely different units. The Stalker and the Viking both have abilities that allow them to cliff jump, the Stalker having Blink and the Viking having an Air Form.
    Lastly, no matter how similar all the races are already, all races need a standard transport. Teleportation and cliff jumping can only be used in certain situations and under certain conditions, but transports are the ones that need to be used in the majority of situations. Whether it's an island map or not, all teams need transports.

19. blindoutlaw

blindoutlaw New Member

Australia
    I rather enjoy the current layout of the Terran units blizzard have made, the only things i would like to see changed are:

Reaper and Marauder combined to make a single unit
    The Firebat brought back used as a effective weak unit killer (only brought back if the Reaper/Marauder combination is done)
    The Jackal given a rocket pod and able to attack multiple enemies (ground and air)
    and make the Thor a pure assault weapon, big guns and lots of health for the big assault push

20. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

I also believe the maurader and reaper shouldcombine, but keep a model close to the awesome looking maurader

I also like the idea of a nomad redesign

I would also like to see a pcture of the new, smaller, thor