1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: Hosting behind a router

Discussion in 'Starcraft Tutorials' started by kuvasz, Aug 24, 2008.

Tutorial: Hosting behind a router

Discussion in 'Starcraft Tutorials' started by kuvasz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    This tutorial will show you how to configure your router to be able to host Starcraft games.

For this tutorial I used a D-Link Dl-524. While routers work very similarly, their menus and terms may vary greatly, and so you may need to look for different, but related terms when configuring your own router.

1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, etc.), and enter in the Internet Protocol address of your router into the web address (URL) bar. This is usually 192.168.0.1, as seen in the example, but it may vary depending on the brand and model of the router. You can find the default address of your router in its manual, at its homepage, or you can ask your network administrator. Enter the number, then press enter.
    [​IMG]

2. Here the router asks you to identify yourself to be able to log in. The default username (first line) for my router is admin, with no password (second line) set, but settings may vary depending on router brand and model. You can find the username and password for your router in its manual, on its homepage, or by asking your network administrator. Once you have entered the appropriate things, press enter to go into the router.
    [​IMG]

3. Next up, look for port forwarding, tunnelling, or virtual server(s) in the menu. Note though that Starcraft needs multiple ports to be able to host for more than 2 clients, so you should choose the appropriate menu if you have single port forwarding and multiple port forwarding (here: application forwarding) separately, like in the example.
    [​IMG]

4. Once you have found the appropriate menu, enter in 6112 as trigger port (I used the range of 6112-6119 to be sure), and set the type to both TCP and UDP. Enter in these values for the public ports as well, as in the example, and name it with something that will remind you later on why the ports are open (example: Starcraft, SC, Battle.net, Blizzard game). My router already had a Battle.net template, so I just edited and activated it (port forwarding is disabled by default).
    [​IMG]

5. Apply the settings. Most routers restart themselves to apply the settings – once you are returned to the menu, the settings have been applied and you are ready to duke it out via Battle.net.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Could you find some graphics not in Russian? ;)

3. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Wow great tutorial. Very helpful. I've always wanted to do this but never could... now I can THANKS!

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    thanks...my brothers laptop have this problem. ill tell him to see this today =]

sorry one question...when you change the ports..are you still able to play war3 games too on b.net?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I don't know because I don't own the game, but you should be able to since the port WCIII uses is within the range of ports that are forwarded to the computer already.

6. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

An excellent online source that hosts a number of router configuration tutorials can be found over at www.portforward.com. Definitely a must see for those who do not have the router shown in kuvasz's tutorial.

7. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    hey whats the diff if i just put 6112-6112?

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Great tutorial. I have no use for it (At the moment anyway), but very well done.

Also.

I thought the title was "Tutorial: Hiding Behind a Router"

9. BiBaKi

BiBaKi New Member

Now if only people would join my games :(

10. zkid10

zkid10 New Member

Gamersville,Heaven
    Godly tutorial.