1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to build your $650 Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 4, 2008.

TUTORIAL: How to build your $650 Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    [​IMG]

Prerequisite for this article is the Building a Desktop for $700 Tutorial

Now that you've purchased your computer and have received all the components outlined in my previous tutorial, it's time to put it all together cohesively and without being a moron!

Please read this tutorial carefully as you can cause permanent damage to the components if you do something dumb!

Let's start with the assembler's first rule: always touch the metal part of the computer case when handling any component to ensure you discharge all static electricity generated by your body's friction or else you can fry these sensitive components! Do not assemble on carpet or while standing on carpet!

Step 1: Opening the case

Place your case on something soft, I would recommend a large table and putting a table cloth or maybe a blanket on top of it. This way it's soft and firm. Place the case on the table on its side and remove all screws from both side panels so that you can slide them off.

[​IMG]

Then remove the side panels by sliding them backward using the hand grips.

Step 2: Installing the Motherboard

This portion of the install is going to vary a bit so don't panic. On your motherboard there are a number of screw holes and one side of the motherboard has a number of ports (LVGA, Audio jacks, USB ports, etc) that need to stick out of the back of the computer so you can access them. Orient these ports so that they will fit in their corresponding notches. From here on out you need to read the Motherboard manual because installation varies among models.

[​IMG]

But basically you need to align the copper threaded holes (they're orangish) with the seats for the nuts and screw them in. Depending on the model you may need to add stands to give separation from the case.

Step 3: Installing the Processor (CPU)

The processor is a very sensitive piece of equipment. You might want to watch some videos on installing it to prevent damaging this component. But the basic idea is pretty simple. Remove all the safety coverings from the pins and bottom of the CPU (DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE ADHESIVE OR PINS!!!) and place it over the pin set on the motherboard carefully!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Step 3 Continued

[​IMG]

Now make sure the processor is properly seated and lower the safety bar and snap it in place. This should give some resistance, but not much. If it is difficult double check the seating of your processor to make sure you're not forcing it!

Step 4: Installing the RAM

Ram is a pretty simple install. Grab your manual and figure out what DIMM slot you're putting it in because some motherboard can have up to six ports. Usually it's the yellow ports or the ones marked 1 and 2. Line up the RAM chips properly and push them gently into place until the caps click. Be gentle!

[​IMG]

Remember that RAM only goes in one way, don't try forcing it in upside down. Fool around with it and double check the direction! It should fit snugly.

Step 5: Installing the Video Card

This is probably the most difficult of all of the steps. Video cards vary in size (you should make sure the dimensions of your video card will allow you to fit it inside your case) and can be difficult to install. What you need to do is remove part of the back panel on your case in the slot on the motherboard for the video card.

[​IMG]

Then insert your video card into the slot and secure it using the screws provided with the case. Make sure that wires aren't near the fan when you're finished!

Step 6: Installing CD Drive and Hard Drive

This is very simple. Remove the front part of your PC case and pop out one of the top front panels for your CD drive (I like to pop out the panel with the manufacturer's logo on it and replace it with one without a logo so I don't have to stare at the logo). Insert the CD drive and adjust the screws as you put it in place so that it forms a flat face on the front of the computer.

[​IMG]

Now to install your hard drive simply place it in one of the bottom racks and screw it in.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Step 7: Connecting your wires

This is a tricky one! Make sure you consult your manuals many, many times in order to get this right!

Your CD drive and Harddrive require you to connect them to a ribbon cable to provide data transfer. Then plugin the power jack (the white rectangular plastic thing with plugs in it) into it as well to provide the power.

[​IMG]

The next step is to get your Motherboard's power set up. There is an LGPA pin that needs to be seated on the Motherboard. Check your manual to figure out where it goes as it varies with models. You will also need to connect your power button for the PC case which is also covered in the manual.

Then you need to connect your video card to another ribbon cable to provide it power as well.

Follow the manuals exactly and make sure everything is plugged in and working!

Now you can turn your computer on, install an OS, and get rolling!

Have fun!

4. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Not bad instructions for a beginner. It covers the basics. You should make an overclocking tutorial now. :) I know how to do it, but too lazy to make a tutorial myself.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Nah I'm not going to do an overclocking one because that makes me liable when they screw it up. Overclocking is not for a beginner.

6. Spartan

Spartan New Member

It doesn't make you legally liable, but it will be on your conscience at the very worst.

My first time overclocking It was a success. As any overclocker knows, doing so cuts your parts' lifetime in half effectively. My first desktop went kaput just over a year since doing so.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    but but Jon how do I install the processor? The picture won't show and I can't see what to do

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    LOL. Ya, weird, the picture disappeared. I must have the wrong url. :-\ Fixed it now!

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    LOL socket 7. Old picture much?
    You have a couple other bad urls left.

Good info though

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Where am I missing anything? I don't see any missing pics.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I see an image not loading icon next to the picture of the back of the case

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I see it fine...

13. TiNK[E]

TiNK[E] New Member

in a glass case of emotion
    very nice, i didnt read it all but Adding a comment about Applying adhesive between the CPU and the CPU fan I'd suggest. This can be a big boo boo and a widely unknown fact I've found with people.

14. Fendi

Fendi New Member

Great. It's like a blog.... post it in blog. :p Thanks for the tutorial Jon. :)