1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visual Guide to the New Zerg Army.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

Visual Guide to the New Zerg Army.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ced, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    Whoops. As if I forgot the Lurker. Sorry about that.

I'm still at work ATM. If you guys have any other suggestions.. I'll try to add them when I get back home later this evening.

• Add Lurker!!
    • Split Overlord and Overseer.
    • Cycle frames faster.
    • Maybe add another frame with the high rez renders?

2. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Nice post, very helpful. Nice images too.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Awesome.
    Do we know the differences yet? If so, can someone please explain them to me?
    I think that would be better. Even if you're not finished looking at the image when it changes, it'll be change back quicker. I think this would be last on the list though, the others are more important.
    I reckon it'd be better just to add a high resolution image to the cycle of each unit instead of adding another frame to cycle through them. That way you can just go to the frame that's showing you the unit that you want to look at. If you wanted to see the high resolution Queen, it'd be quicker to wait for it on the Queen frame than the high resolution frame.

Lastly, thanks for the images!

4. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    I've updated the first post with a new version of the Guide.
    Changes are listed at the bottom of the first post.

Suggestions and Comments are welcome.

-ced

5. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    According to IGN:
    Overlords, a floating Zerg unit that determines unit cap, no longer have transport or detection abilities. Transport is now given the responsibility of Nydus Worms, and Overlords need to be upgraded to Overseers to detect. After the upgrade, Overseers gain an increased detection range the longer they remain still. As for Overlord abilities, they can generate creep as well as slime and thereby disable a resource node or observation tower.

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yuck, I really hate those images of the Overseer. What's with all the eyes? They make it look like some cheesy, cliché eye monster and doesn't suit Zerg at all. If anything it'd discourage me from upgrading to them. The normal Overlords look so awesome!
    Great update. I like the colour coding, but I'm having some trouble with it. I can see that there's a pattern to it, but can't really identify each classification. From what I can gather, green are the ground units, teal is for the air units, red is for the Infested units, orange are the buildings and yellow is for workers. Pink seems to be utility or something, but I'm not sure. Would you be able to add a key or legend?

7. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    I totally agree with you. Overseer looks like a cheezy Beholder.

Yep! You guessed right. (I'll add a legend next time.)
    • Yellow - Worker
    • Purple/Pink - Utility Units
    • Orange - Transport Unit
    • Green - Ground Units
    • Teal/Light Blue - Air Units
    • Red - Infested Units

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Wow! I was closer than I thought! It's a bit ambiguous though, after all Overlords or Overseers (not sure which) can also transport.
    By the way, what's a Beholder?

9. ced

ced New Member

Canada
    It's an old school D&D monster. Usually consisting of a large floating "head" with a mouth and one big cyclopean eye, it usually has many more smaller eyes on the ends of tentacles. Staple D&D cheezy monster.

Samples ::
    [img width=243 height=287]http://www.zakna.com/ddm/deathknell/images/beholder.jpg[/img]
    [img width=500 height=486]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/leviathonlx/beholder.jpg[/img]
    [img width=500 height=509]http://www.fischart.com/assets/art/artwork/Games/d20/beholder.jpg[/img]

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ah yes, that's what they reminded me of, a Beholder, I just didn't know the name. Thanks for the images. I've never played D&D and stuff but I've seen the World of Warcraft one and I've also seen one in lfgcomic.com. We haven't seen a clear shot of one yet, but I really don't reckon that they're Zergular. The Overlord looks absolutely perfect as it is (am I the only one in awe by its brilliance?) and I'd hate for them to be evolved into Overseers.

11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i think the overseer should have less eyes...
    how can a 2 eye monster (overlord) mutate to a moster with several eyes? (overseer)

12. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    How can any zerg units mutate into other? Zergling to baneling? Larva to ultralisk?

That's why it's mutation and not adolescense ;)

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think that the Overlord might actually have more than two eyes, but they're small and spider-like. The Overseer on the other hand has humanoid-type eyes all over its body! Small, spider-like and on the head is fine. Large, humanoid and absolutely everywhere is not.

14. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Also it's hard to tell but seems like they are placed randomly, not to mention various sizes here and there

It's the kind of unit that make mirrors brake on their own

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Maybe that's the Overseer's attack. It just floats in, people look at it to see what it is, and they all drop dead. I wouldn't be surprised... Ok, ok, ok that might have been a tad harsh, but I the Overlord is just so much better than what we've seen of the Overseer. Am I the only one who is so wrapped by the new Overlord? The domes on the side may look a bit weird from certain angles, but they don't detract from the model that much. Why can't it just be upgraded instead of evolved?

16. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Well seeing as Hydralisks now taunt air forces to death it wouldn't be all that surprising if overseers had a killer gaze. All the more so since killing with just a glance or turning to stone IS one of beholders' trademark abilities. ;D

As for overlord, it still has this stupid team colour orbs on the sides. And with overseer revealed it's clear that they aren't used for transportation. They toned it down on Ultralisk, so why couldn't they fix it on overlord too?

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Hydralisks do the what now?
    In the high resolution image you can see that they're like inflatable organs or something. It actually looks fairly functional up close, looking as though it's the regulated gas in there that allows them to float. I do admit that they look pretty odd from some angles, but what do you think of it as a whole?

18. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    look at the action shot on the main site
    http://starcraft2.com/features/zerg/hydralisk.xml

the first battle (hydras vs 2 vikings and bc) show it best. Look carefully and tell me what kind of attack do hydralisks use against air

I think overlord is very good and stays really true to original unit from sc, but I just can't stand those freakin orbs

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Haha, what's with that? Have they just not been given an attack projectile yet? It seems strange that they'd get one for ground targets but don't have the same one for air targets.
    Yeah, the orbs are probably a bit much to ask for a lot of people. I wouldn't mind if they're removed and there've got to be other ways of showing its team colour.

20. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Some really good stuff ced, I give you a :powerup:

I was wondering if you could do the same visual guide for the protoss and terran race as well, that would be great. :thumbup: