1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly is genocide?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ijffdrie, Dec 23, 2011.

?

Select the genocides!

1. Situation 1

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Situation 2

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Situation 3

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Situation 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Situation 5

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Situation 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Situation 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Situation 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

What exactly is genocide?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ijffdrie, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Genocide is a word that gets thrown around a lot in warzones nowaday, though I will refrain from mentioning any the names of any countries (touchy subject and all). But, the term gets thrown around so much, that I have to wonder if all its applications are really valid. So, I made a vote about. When you vote, feel free to post any explanation of your decision.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Edit: The poll with not allow the length of some options, instead they will be posted here.

Situation 1: A former colonial power is losing control of its former holdings. One of the revolutions is particulary violent and the colonial power is paranoid and overzealous, resulting in the death of 10% of the population

Situation 2: During a large famine, the government decides that people of a certain race will have more rights to food than those of the others. One of these other races, living in an area not suitable for farming, loses 90% of its population

Situation 3: A country has invaded and held several nearby countries for 5 years. Though the country has fallen, a large population had already moved to the newly acquired land. The original invaded country tries to kick them out of their homes, but the colonists refuse, and a slaughter ensues where 80% of the population dies.

Situation 4: Two warring countries bordering each other have a different state religion, and have made the following of the other religion illegal. After a peace accord where the borders got redrawn, many religious people find themselves on the wrong side of the border, and, refusing to give up their religion, are executed.

Situation 5: A country has a large repressed indiginous population. In an effort to re-educate the population, most of the indigenous children are stolen and put in foster homes where they can learn about "proper culture" and abandon their old culture.

Situation 6: A new regime starts executing any person they deem a threat. While they are not targeting a specific race, they have been killing all intellectuals.

Situation 7: The crops of a province are struck by a blight. Though the province still produces enough food to feed its entire population, the government has closed down all transportation, afraid of the blight spreading. Thanks to this decision, much of the population within the blight-stricken areas dies.

Situation 8: Two countries are fighting a war in another country. The population is supporting one of these countries, and gives them support as well as fighting themselves, using devastating guerilla tactics. The other country, in response, kills the civilians in any town where a member of the populace has supported the enemy.

3. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    What situations?...
    1-8 whut lol

Genocide is the extermination of an entire biological class (taxonomy) i think...
    so like species/subspecies (ethnicities) count...

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I chose 2, 3 and 5 because they are exterminating based on race/culture, which is what I always understood genocide to mean, although it is often misused.

I wasn't sure about 4 but it feels a little... bilateral? to be considered genocide.

5. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Drie, none of the situations are genocide.
    Just like murder, you can't leave the job 90% finished, or else it'll be just "attempted" (as in attempted murder).

Genocide is the complete removal of a biological group. (although I think that people would just say "he committed genocide against them" rather than "he tried to commit genocide but one of them survived).
    I'm pretty sure if even one person survives, it's not technically complete genocide. Plz correct me if i'm wrong.
    btw, intellectuals aren't a biological group i tihnk.

edit: nooope.
    As it turns out, the dictionary people understand that it's very hard and takes a long time to actually kill an entire people.
    So "attempted" genocide is really just genocide. :(

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. Renatus

Renatus New Member

Genocide is a decision i have to make but it isnt one i make lightly

7. Seb

Seb Registered User

April 24, 1915

8. PRUSSIA

PRUSSIA New Member

Tarsonis
    Uh, no. Hitler committed genocide against the Jews and Poles. He killed 6 million Jews when there were 18 million in total at a time. You don't have to kill everyone in a race or culture to call it a genocide. A genocide is the systematic (but not necessarily total) destruction of a cultural, ethnic, or religious group.