1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is BM and what isn´t?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Robin Johnsson, Jan 24, 2011.

What is BM and what isn´t?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Robin Johnsson, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Robin Johnsson

Robin Johnsson New Member

Sweden
    So today i am here to talk about BM. I am sure most of you guys consider not saying "gg", "gl hf" to be Bad Manners. But, is it really? Lets take a look. If you dont like losing then what is stopping you from leaving the game without saying anything? If i dont want to wish my opponent good luck so what? But really...What normal man would wish your ENEMY, good luck? Do you think that in world war 2 they said "good luck" before killing each other? Well the truth is....NO they DIDN`T. If you want to be a professional player then why the hell do you wanna wish your enemy good luck or even be nice? Its your ENEMY for gods sake! Call me BM, call me a sore loser but atleast i am honest.

2. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    It's not so much manners but more a cultural thing. Tis about being an honourable gentleman sir!

No one literally means it but in real life we have lots of little niceties which we say that we don't really pay any attention to when we say them automatically. Guess it's the same as not shaking hands with your opponent in anything in real life. You've gone head to head with someone for 5-60 minutes so some acknowledgement of them is...err, nice?

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    So basically you compare a video game to WWII.

Do I need to elaborate on how ridiculous that is?

Also, though it might be your language skills so I'm sorry if it is, but there's a difference between enemy and opponent/adversary. You are wrong in saying you play against your enemy.

4. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    So, Robin, when you play football do you kick your friends in the face because they are your ENEMY? Do not wonder if they don't call you again for a match...

Or when playing pool do you stick the cue stick in their eyes to gain a better advantage since they'll be bleeding too much to aim and that'll secure your victory?

At least when we go for football with friends we split up in 2 teams on the spot, wish each other a good game and if the teams seem too imbalanced we take a break and rearrange them so the match is more even. That's when the match is also better, all 10 of us have fun and all 10 play for the win.

Wishing your enemy gl/gg/hf is considered good manners since these are the things that you wish to have yourself: Have a good game, have fun playing it, and not lose due to luck(which is a factor: for example your dropship crossing paths with a stray scouting probe while you made sure to send it from a secure way)

I personally have fun playing the game even when I lose to a good match... On the other side crushing an enemy without even trying is not really that much fun as losing to a better player but playing my arse off.

I've also added many players to my friends list with whom I played ladder games that were good and we discussed them afterwards, and we ended up practising after those matches a bit and having fun.

That's why people play games: to have fun. If winning is the only reason you play, then this might be the game for you:
    [youtube]cD69PAIqiYo[/youtube]

5. Vogin

Vogin New Member

Czech republic
    My thoughts exactly. It's been only a couple of decades back and most people already don't have a clue why it happened and how horrible it was. Me obviously neither, I wasn't there and I\m glad for it, but at least i've got a clue.

6. Alsojames

Alsojames New Member

I really mean it. I like it when everyone in a game enjoys it.

7. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    Like marinefreak said, its a social convention for starcraft, its sportsman like to say gl hf, gg.

I don't always say "gl hf" but i always say "gg"

think about it for a lil bit, if you don't say gg... you are satisfying your opponent, he made you rage quit.

Stirlitz lol bad analogies haha.

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I don't always say gl hf. But it's being a homo not to GG. It's also BM to GG and then remain.

9. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    admitting defeat and staying? thats not BM thats just being annoying or just having fun.

what's BM is saying "gg" when you are the victor before your opponent says "gg"

10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok New Member

Because it's a game and we're all here to have fun. Before each chess game at a tournament, opponents always wish each other luck even though we hope they blunder their queen 6
    moves in