1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which race to choose and why!

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by ica-finger, May 23, 2010.

Which race to choose and why!

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Beta' started by ica-finger, May 23, 2010.

1. ica-finger

ica-finger New Member

Hello i've been wondering about which race to choose when playing starcraft, why did you choose the race you play and what are their advantages? Playing platinum 26 atm. Damn drops, would have made diamond.

I like Terran because it feels epic to battle them off with siege tanks and rifles, holding checkpoints.

I like Protoss because they remind me of little elephants fighting for their greater glory. Also spaceships are kinda cool

Zerg because i get to scare players and zerging is werging

so why did you choose the race you play?:laugh:

2. TeeBee

TeeBee New Member

UK
    I went protoss because for me, they were the easiest to learn, plain and simple. I tried the other 3 but just got along the best with Protoss. I'm still bad at SC2 though, I just suck the least with Protoss :D

3. HuxleyStronghead

HuxleyStronghead New Member

I play the Protoss because I love their thundering voice and fancy technology.

YOU HAVE NOT ENOUGH MINERALS! :D

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I play Terran because I love their flexibility. They have more avenues to choose from and are more successful using strategy than brute force. There are also higher rewards for playing them correctly (Siege Tanks can ruin your opponent's day) and higher risks as well.

5. Arterial

Arterial New Member

I play zerg coz i could never be bothered learning to wall off properly

6. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    I play Terran because it's what I started out with. I've tried both Protoss and Zerg, but didn't like them as much. I just love how Terran can either rush or turtle, plus walling off is a good way to prevent early scouting and smaller rushes, so that is nice.

7. dcoetzee

dcoetzee Member

Berkeley, California
    I play Random, because I think all three races are cool in their own way. I get bored less easily, I get an edge on my opponent who has to scout me to determine my race, and I get an intuition for the strategies other races will use.

8. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I love zerg cause they need mass of units to win ( most of the time ) and I love big army fight. I love them because you have 1 bulding to produce from not 3.

But I don't like them because the economy managing (building drones the same place your building "the masse army" is hard to balance,

9. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

If you can't decide, play Random. You'll eventually figure out which race is your favorite!*

*Unless you're me, then you will like them all!

10. RHStag

RHStag New Member

I play Terran, because the computer I play on makes the game lag so bad, it's impossible to have proper micro as it's incredibly hard to click on a SCV for instance.

With MMM I don't need that much micro.

11. W4LLY

W4LLY New Member

I play Protoss, because my play style is Power Overwhelming. I'm not the smartest player, and don't really like Macroing or using "smart" stragegies...but if you have the most powerful army, stratgey really doesn't matter ;).

Also, I'm so happy that the Archon's have the EXACT same lines from SC1. This made me love Blizzard long time.

12. Subversion

Subversion New Member

I play Zerg because I love their macro mechanics, map control and mobility.

13. Azarem

Azarem Guest

The reason I chose Protoss is pretty dumb.. Nostalgic reasons. I remember when I was a kid, maybe 9-10 years old, when I saw my friends brother play Starcraft. I thought that looked pretty cool. So I started watching when he was playing, and I thought the Zealots looked really cool, so I tried playing as Protoss the first time I played and now it has been stuck with me ever since. :)

14. Mako

Mako New Member

I play terran for the mobility, raw infantry power, awesome mech build vs zerg, and the awesome microing.

15. Arbaal

Arbaal New Member

Brussels
    I play zergs because I use to be fast and don't like to turtle. I like the multiple ways to enter the ennemy bases as drop, nydus, roaches under the gound, fly and the front attack of course. I also like the micro of the queen in place of going on each building to construct units.

16. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I don't like playing the zerg. Cause lots of creep = poor fps for my low end gpu. Mind you I never played the zerg in SC1 either. For me I play the Terran and Protoss in equal amounts. Though I do find the Terran the easiest to play for me. Cause they make sense. Like a marine or a hellion or whatever, we know how and when to use them cause there is real life equivalents of most Terran units.

But for the Protoss. There is nothing similar to a Dark Templar or Void Ray or whatever in real life. So you have to train yourself to become familiar with the units so they are just like second nature to you in your brain. And this for me at least is a challenge. Sure I know what all the Protoss units do and what they are good for. But in the heat of battle I have to think "hmmmm now what unit should I use here?" And those few seconds spend thinking are costly in some close matchups. But that's why I like the Protoss too. Thye are a challenge for me to use effectively. But I'll keep trying till I get good.

It's harder with no real Protoss Single Player will expansion 2. And for me the SP really taught me a lot in how to use the specific units effectively.

So in short:

Zerg = no cause too much creep = low fps for me
    Terran = yes when I feel like a race I am familiar with
    Protoss = yes when I feel like a challenge.

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    played mostly toss in beta, but zerg are my fav race overall. I just dont play them as much because my fps suffers due to my weak laptop. I like that I only have to hotkey my hatches and can do them all on 1 key and instantly can build any unit I have the tech for rather than using different buildings for units.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  18. rosasafes

rosasafes Guest

I play with all low graphic settings, and notice that enemy cloaked units to not create a wavering affect when moving. I've seen replays on youtube with Ultra settings and could clearly see a wavering when an enemy DT/obs/banshee was moving around.

This leads me to believe that on low you have no way to tell if a cloaked unit is nearby unless you have detection, as low settings do not allow the affect to be shown. So, even if there were a bunch of DTs walking around my base, I would not know they are there until they attack, no matter how good my eyesight is.

19. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I play Random, because anything else is just racist.

20. FifthDread

FifthDread Guest

Playing random for a while can really help you get a well rounded outlook on things. I prefer to play protoss myself, but that is just my style. If you are terran you can wall off easy creating a complete wall making scouting that much harder. Toss can wall just not 100 percent till they get warp gates. Zerg can't wall off at all unless they use a line of zerglings lol only effective against a scout. Not a rush.

Just play random a lot of games to get used to the mechanics. Then choose whatever you like best (or get the most wins with)