1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opponent mass siege tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by imjorman, Dec 17, 2010.

Opponent mass siege tanks

Discussion in 'Terran' started by imjorman, Dec 17, 2010.

1. imjorman

imjorman New Member

Ohio
    So I just played a match where my opponent mass siege tank and lined the entirety of his base with them. My banshees were no good because my opponent would raven+viking them down. And my infantry was useless because of the siege tanks.

Your advice is much appreciated :)

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Use the Yamato Cannon of your BC's on the tanks, while you keep the Vikings away from them with Marines and Thors. When he has only Vikings left, you pretty much win. Spread out all over the map as well if somebody turtles up like that. They'll run out of recourses long before you do.

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Agreed, expand all over the place, get every single upgrade, max out your army and build more production facilities than you need - that way you ensure that you win regardless of what the outcome of a battle is.

4. imjorman

imjorman New Member

Ohio
    Yeah it seems (after looking at replay) that I did a lot wrong. I expanded slowly after my first expansion; expanding quicker would have worked wonders.

I also should have scouted harder and picked up on the mass sooner.

5. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    You can also marine drop onto thier tanks, using their own splash damage.

If you were protoss I would just tell you to graviton beam them up.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Long distance weapons would most likely still be more effective, since dropships will get shot down by vikings extremely quickly.

7. Andromidius

Andromidius New Member

I would probably just build more Seige Tanks then him, mass expand, then send a huge ball of death at him. But then I don't really play Terran.

Probably a smarter idea is to win air superiority, building mass Vikings to clear the air. Then send in the Banshees.

8. MightySheep

MightySheep New Member

Nuke em

9. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Late reply is late... ^^

Anyway, I'd expect such a turtled up player to use a lot of missile turrets as well, so have fun getting your ghosts past those.

10. Shaithis

Shaithis New Member

Guys, really, some silly advice here.

There are 3 solutions to mass siege tanks in TvT. They are as follows:

1) Tank / viking play - secure air dominance, and inch forward with your own tanks. Eventually, he will run out of 270 mineral cost scans, while you are free to mule up and outproduce him.

2) Marauder pressure. Stimmed marauders destroy siege tanks until they get to a critical mass. It's very easy to attack at the right time with a nice pack and completely destroy a tank / viking player, particularly when you consider that he will have at least 10 food of units that cannot effectively fight on the ground. Obviously, drops are very useful in this regard; for a deadly combo; drop in his base, forcing him to unsiege, then attack the exposed tanks with your main army.

3) iEchoic's 2 fact 2 port - involves a BF hellion drop to do some econ damage, into banshees and eventual BCs to destroy tanks while continuing to amass hellions to counter marines. Even more mobility than marauder pressure; you will easily be able to keep map control and expand all over the place while he sits in his base. This is an excellent TvT build that will win you many games once you get it down.

11. cHowziLLa

cHowziLLa New Member

Montreal
    don't try to counter him right away if he turtle's good, because you need the time to tech switch which will slow down your army production, and when he's ready to push out it'll be too late.

mass expansion like most have said, and then fight fire with fire while teching because you have so much resources.

also if you are really determined to drop on him, early game, its always possible unless he has sensor towers everywhere or has vision of all his surroundings which most players don't.

you can always sneak in from the back/side. OR even do a 2 prong drop.

This guy on my team only does drops, nothing but drops, if he can't drop, he does more drops lol, he made it into masters like that.